Spectra Q3 Color Scroller does not respond to DMX Values

jonliles

Fight Leukemia
I have just purchased 6 used SpectraQ3's. Addressed the scrollers to channels 30 through 32, & 36 through 38. After connecting the 4 pin cable and powering on the PSU, the Scrollers go through self calibration. Several off them still don't quite line up to the 1st gel frame, but they appear to function. More importantly, they are not responding correctly to the DMX signal. One of them (though mapped to 38) responds to DMX Channel 6 - almost like I never cycled DIP 5?

I brought them all down, and then started trouble shoot by going from PSU to 1 scroller back to PSU. Still the erradicate response. Tried alternate channels on the PSU - still the erradict reponse. Tried a different board - still erradict response. Tried to remap them to a lower channel (something less than 16) and they would sort of respond, but still very erradict. Tried to map them to a higher channel (something 64 & higher), and yep, you guessed it, still the erradict response. It is almost as if everything from Binary DIP Switch 5 and up is non responsive

I should mention that I do have 1 chain of of QTY 3 Apollo SC 7.25's ( mapped to 33 - 35) on this same PSU on their own channel (and swapped their channel to troubleshoot the PSU as a just in case) and the respond beautifully.

Q1) How would I manually calibrate the scroller so it correctly aligns to the 1st and last frame?
Q2) How do I get these things to respond correctly to the DMX signal? Is there an internal fuse?

Am I missing something simple?

Control System: 1 Enttec Pro Dongle with Chamsys MagicQ Latest build. Alternate control Lightronics TL2448 board.

Many Thanks.

Help, please?

Bump. Does anyone have any ideas? I have about a month to get this fixed.

I am unable to locate any manuals other than one from Apollo that is on a site in Finland.

The most likely reasons DMX does not work is because:
  • they are incorrectly cabled
  • they are incorrectly addressed and/or configured via the DIP switches
  • they are incorrectly patched
  • they are broken
Your gel alignment issue may be due to a tension problem, or it could be because the gel strings don't match the specifications for the unit in terms of length of the tails, or length of the frames. But I'm just guessing.

When I bought them, Kelite said they are the same as the Chroma Q MK II's. I've swaped cables and changed pin outs to no effect. The patch is a one to one so that the handle # corresponds to to the scroller DIP. The Gel Strigs are also from Apollo. I'm just hoping that something isn't fried inside the unit. I have a back up power supply comming next week to be able to try that out.

Hi Jon,
Sorry for the time away, been busy tending a few projects. I would certainly set the system up with the PSU which you mention is forthcoming, as there may be issues with the current PSU. As I recall, the strings are brand new which eliminates this dynamic from the troubleshooting process.

Is there a second, perhaps smaller console which may be used with either PSU and a few scrollers to determine the scrollers/psu are indeed functional? Sometimes items work fine within a bench test environment, indicating proper circuitry and power. When the accessories then enter the full rig and misbehave, there is often a wonky cable/patch etc somewhere...

Funny Story that one. We just moved the show mid-process to an Alternate Space - the why & how is a very long and drawn out story. Moved the PSU & the existing SC's and tied it into the ETC Express Uni 2. My next step is to try these bad boys on Uni 2 at a lower DMX valueand then start stepping up the value and note the various responses. The Express will be the 3rd console I will try on a single cable directly to Uni 2 with nothing else in between. Since I have a month to fix it, I have some time to really trouble shoot it. After my 120 to 24VDC power board comes in to repair the one that let out the magic smoke - managed to get that power board for $42 - cheap fix.

Update:
Got the scrollers into the space. They work fine on any channel less than 16 - I even managed to get them calibrated. Fortunately, I can stick them on Universe 2 and we can use them.

I popped one apart, there is a single IC Chip. I assume this is the DMX driver. Any thoughts? I would reall like to have this working on any available channel instead of just 1-15.

BTW, using a ETC Express now.

They work fine on any channel less than 16 - I even managed to get them calibrated. Fortunately, I can stick them on Universe 2 and we can use them.

I popped one apart, there is a single IC Chip. I assume this is the DMX driver. Any thoughts? I would reall like to have this working on any available channel instead of just 1-15.

These used Spectra Q3's may have had some type of electrical 'event' in their past, depending upon where they spent the last several years. Jon, if you test each unit individually, within several DIP addresses- do they all exhibit the exact same behavior?

(And yes, if I recall, the IC chip you found is likely the DMX driver.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back