Stage Collapse at Miami Ultra Festival

"Self regulation" of our industry has it's days number, of that I am sure.

From what i have been reading it was that the lighting or LED rig fell.

based on what I saw on facebook it was the Swedish House Mafia touring rig that fell...

Does anyone know any details from what happened?
The news keeps saying that it was during the installation, but from the looks of that video that Lsly posted I'm drawn to think that this was post installation, after all it looks like the screen is on and being used.

I hope that the people hurt are well soon.

Does anyone know any details from what happened?

Here is the info I have gathered from the news reports:
It was NOT a stage collapse. Towards the end of the Ultra Main Stage load-in, the rigging failed on a roughly 8' by 30' LED wall as it was being flown out. The falling unit injured 4 workers, 2 critically, though at this time only one is reported to be in critical condition.
As seen in the video, emergency vehicles responded around 10 minutes after the screen fell, but reports indicate that here was an onsite emergency response team that responded almost immediately.
Further work has been postponed until structural engineers, OSHA and Miami Authorities investigate the cause, and survey the rig for structural integrity in the daylight tomorrow morning. If everything clears, the festival will be allowed to finalize the load-in and begin the show as scheduled.

The news keeps saying that it was during the installation, but from the looks of that video that Lsly posted I'm drawn to think that this was post installation, after all it looks like the screen is on and being used.

The rig was most likely powered for testing and troubleshooting purposes as that usually occurs towards the end of an install. However, if everything was already operational at that point, then I would say that the design team/programmers were settling into their overnight cueing session while the install crew was wrapping up on stage, thus explaining the content on the screens and the workers below. Actual progress on any show of this size can be misleading. Just because the larger elements of the rig are in place and working doesn't mean that the many smaller supporting components are installed. For instance, the audio interface & monitor set-up, the on-deck lighting/video package, pyrotechnics & effects, automation, masking, and anything else on the actual stage (not above it) can not be installed until the overhead gear is in place, as it would be in the way. Ultra is one of the largest music festivals in the world, I'm sure there was still plenty to be done.

An article I read last week indicated that the Ultra Stage features some new and advanced automation and staging, referring to it as: "The most technically advanced and largest concert stage designs in history." I'd be interested in finding out more about the specific gear, and if the failure is related to any of the new technology featured in the rig.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the injured workers and their families. Hopefully everyone pulls through.

Here's a clip of the LED Panel falling, linked from the Facebook group, Dodgy Technicians. Starts around 29 seconds in.

[video=facebook;747583610126]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=747583610126[/video]

"Self regulation" of our industry has it's days number, of that I am sure.
Particularly exacerbated by the media (and sometimes members of our own industry) referring to every rigging mishap as a "stage collapse." Not to make light of the situation, but a video panel falling is hardly the same issue as the Indiana State Fair.

If you watch the video Dave linked to, you'll notice that right before the arc flash of the power cables separating there is movement on deck in the DSR area. It looks like someone was directly below where the arc-flash happened. They move downstage then SL, ultimately getting pinned underneath the collapsing rig DSL.

Well on the upside, I highly doubt OSHA will find fault with a Union this time...

From a friend:
"The stage is still up and is fine, an LED wall rigged by one if the touring crews snagged the SR sidefill when they were flying it out.
Since the screens were cheeseboro'd on and no safety cables were used, a domino effect ensued...
One of my friends was on the crew on that show and was one of the first responders to help dig out the people the screen landed on."

Live Design also has a write up on the show at livedesign.com where they briefly mention the accident but acknowledge all the parties involved in the show.

I don't believe this faults along the union/non-union battle lines. I also think that the stage should have been clear as the motors went out, but that's not always easy to do.

Either way, local media was very quick to sensationalize this one.

Hopefully a report is soon released on this one.

It all depends on the design of the screen. We looked at a $1 mil screen from Barco and its Chinese knockoff and they rigged completely differently. I'm waiting on the safety reports now - hopefully we'll see something soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back