Stage Manager's Kit

I carry a leatherman Squirt with me at school. It does have a (very small) knife on it, but outside of the theatre, the multitool almost never leaves my pocket. If I use it, it's for the pliers. If I was questioned about it, I would explain that it is not a weapon, it is a tool for the theatre. Hammers, scissors, power tools, etc, could all be used as weapons, that doesn't mean that they are called them.

Having been suspended for carrying a knife in school, many years ago, let them know what you are doing. They had no problem with any of my tools in the theatre, they weren't happy about it outside of it. I kept saws, utlilty knives and other construction tools in the stage areas but outside of that area, not so much.
Of course in the seventies we didn't have multi tools, I still suggest you let the administration know what you have and why. Their logic is in the theatre it is like a classroom, no different than shop or vo-tech classes. If you are an electical student in the vo-tech class doesn't mean you can carry tools from there elsewhere in school. Theatre is no different.

First off, it really depends on your situation. If you are in a well equipped high school, then your bag may be a compartment in your backpack. I am a resident stage manager at a college and I still keep everything in my rolling kit with me. I include the following

Pens, Pencils, Eraser, Highlighters (8 colors), post it notes (4 colors), Post it flags (12 colors)(some are off brand), garage sale dots (cue marking), legal pads (white and yellow), quad ruled pad, looseleaf paper, dividers, copy paper, sharpies (24 colors), scotch tape, duct tape, gaff tape, spike tape (8-10 colors), file folders, clip boards (at least 5), flashlight (two with gel), paper clips, push pins, binder clips), hole punch, string, tape measure, scale ruler, first aid kit, utility knife, sewing kit (5 needles, light thread, dark thread, needle threader, straight pins), safety pins, hot glue gun with sticks, stapler (both kind), iPad (longer conversation material), coffee mug...

I am sure I am missing many things but that is off my head. I am a little OCD and obsessive so some of this may be overkill for you but I find it all and more necessary for me. There are many great articles and several books on this topic.

The best question is "What do I need to get the job done?" It's not a bragging thing to have the biggest kit or anything. Just make you and the actors comfortable. If the actors trust you and your kit then all is good to go.

Someone once compared the stage manager's kit to a musicians hat. If you can make that effect of "anything you will ever need" happen for the actors then they are more likely to completely trust you in the show. It is your job to be two steps ahead of everyone else (even the director). Any questions? PM me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back