Stairs

LavaASU

So I need to build two sets of stairs going from ground up to a 16" deck. They will be used for a one-off (and probably tossed as its a rental deck and I have no-where to keep them). Cheap and easy are the top criteria. I am not a carpenter, and the extent of tools available are a drill and sawzall plus normal hand tools.

Ideas?

Sounds like you need a step rather than a stair. A box 8"h x 9"w x 3'-0" or 4'-0" long would work nicely. One half-sheet of 3/4" ply per unit.

Bob Vila (and most others found via a cursory search) says
The Rise plus the Run should equal approximately 17.5 inches.
I rounded down; you rounded up. It's all good.

I wouldn't enjoy making the long, straight cuts with a reciprocating saw, but it can be done.

How wide are your steps?

I'm currently doing this exact thing.

bottom of step = 1/2" ply
Top of step = 2" x 12"
Sides of step = 2" x 6"

I made the kids put in middle supports as well. My 200 lbs jumping up and down didn't budge them. Probably over built, but I'm confident these high schoolers won't break them so it's worth it.

1003140931.jpg
1003140930.jpg

I wouldn't enjoy making the long, straight cuts with a reciprocating saw, but it can be done.

Agreed. you can get a cheap circular saw for under $40. totally worth it.

if the long cuts can't be done, might be able to re-purpose some old book shelves?

Bob Vila (and most others found via a cursory search) says

I rounded down; you rounded up. It's all good.

Wow, I totally misremembered. 17.5" in Backstage Handbook, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back