Control/Dimming Strand 550i shape generator

Horvath

I've been noticing a few cheap Strand 550i's for sale lately. Though I've never used a Strand before, it seems like a pretty good busking choice for the price. Coming from experience on a Hog III (only), are there any major limitations to the shape generator on the 550i (with the latest OS) that I should know about (other than the interface)? For now I'll mainly be using LED fixtures, so it won't be that important, on a daily basis I could probably get by with the standard step effects, but there could well be some scanners in our future.

There are ways to do it. It does have a very, very, simple shape generator. If you have read the manual, thats a good start. Also read the automated lighting adedum here: Bobby Harrell Lighting Design. Bobby is a member here, he might show up and respond a bit more.

However, if your intending to control just automated lights in a live situation instead of a cue stack, I don't think this is the console for you. You get one playback. It does have some great macro functions that can help. However, if you are used to the Hog line, your going to be in for a lot of work to get the same functions. This console can do whatever you want. Its extremely powerful. It is still one of my favorite conventional consoles. It has a great moving light package for a console of its time. However, compared to whats out there now its not even competitive in the moving light arena. If you have the time to get stuff just right, go for it. However, if time in a venue and time with gear is money as it is in most places, get something a bit more modern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back