Control/Dimming Strand Compatible USB to DMX

sross01986

Hello Everyone,
I have been tasked with a pretty tall order. An a/v operator that I work with has requested that I be able to connect our Strand VL16 to his computer that runs Watchout. It was suggested that MIDI show control from the computer would trigger cues on the board. I am perfectly okay with this except I do not have the MIDI interface built into the VL16.
My solution for this was turning a laptop into a control board by connecting a USB to MIDI dongle and an Enttec or Chamsys USB to DMX Interface. I did some research and found a thread that says the Enttec interfaces do not work with any Strand Boards or Palette OS. Does the ChamSys USB to DMX interface work with Strand? What are some USB to DMX interfaces that supports the Palette OS? Another good question is could I just plug a USB to MIDI dongle directly into the Strand Board itself? Any information would be a great help.

To answer your first question no, the ChamSys USB to DMX interface will not work with the Palette OS. The only USB to DMX device that will work with the Palette OS software is the one we currently sell, which is called Palette PC. When you purchase the Palette PC it will come with a USB to DMX cable and a channel key, which will allow you to control your lights from a windows computer. I have listed below a link to the data sheet for the Palette PC.

Now regarding your last question, if you purchased a usb to midi device for the palette console it will not work. The reason for that is because it will ask you to load the drivers for that device and we don’t give end users the ability to load programs or drives. We lock down windows for security reasons. If you have any other questions, let me know, thanks.

Palette PC

Okay, that answers some questions. I am aware of the palette PC option, but it's not the solution price wise. Another question did come up though. Is it possible to buy The Light Palette MIDI/SMPTE Interface Card (part no. 64428) and install it in a VL16?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back