Studio boom for travel

Sayen

For an upcoming gig I need to be able to travel, somehow, with 4-6 studio style booms, along with the rest of my gear. The booms I have right now - Samsung, I think? - are light, but bulky. Anyone know of a product that travels well and isn't too bulky? I need to travel by air, which limits what I can personally move.

This might be a pipe dream, but I'm hoping one of you knows about some awesome product I've never seen.

Last edited:
I've never needed full sized studio boom stands on the road before, but have needed to transport normal vocal mic sized boom stands. What I did was use my short tripod stands with telescoping booms to get the mic to about chest high, and then added a gooseneck to the top of that. It looked a little strange fully assembled, but met the requirement of being able to fit mic stands for three vocalists in a suitcase. The heavy base and counterweight that I usually attribute to true studio stands might be very expensive to fly too. Could you ship your stands to wherever you are doing the gig before you leave so they arrive at the same time as you do?

I may end up shipping them, that's the direction I'm leaning right now.

A friend was showing me a setup he uses for similar purposes in his company. The bought regular booms with extra extensions that can screw on. Unstable as all getup, but I suppose some careful gaff work at the base or requesting a sandbag from the venue might work. I just have nightmares of someone bumping an unstable boom and an expensive mic slamming into the floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back