Suspension Trauma at amusement park

That is a standard issue ski lift. What were they doing that caused the service basket to fall off? Sounds like they need more training end to end besides just suspension trama. I always worry about these "skyrides" that are in states without a ski industry. Up here there are people trained on how to work on these things and do what those guys were doing every day. Hopefully someone is inspecting this gear that knows what they are looking at. Ski lifts are freakishly dangerous if they are not maintained.

It is a ski lift with a 2 week season and was leased, maintained and operated by a company (DMC) based in Wisconsin. Also, a few years ago the Tulsa Fairgrounds considered doing away with it.

Just my wild speculation here, and I am no expert, but the type and quality of harness might have caused the death. Some fall protection harnesses provide most of the support via leg straps, which can harm blood circulation in the legs. When the victim hangs in the harness long enough, the loss of circulation is very serious and can be deadly. By contrast, some work support harness, such as used by tower riggers, provide more support with a padded waist belt and chest strap, and a person can hang in it for longer periods without harm.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/2-people-rescued-after-hanging-tulsa-fair-sky-ride-n426366

The second person was recovered, rather than rescued.

Make sure you train for suspension trauma.

Jen
Jen makes a good point, I'd like to take it further.
It's not so much that you're training for Suspension Pathology, you're training to avoid it.
If you don't have a rescue plan in place, that is regularly practiced by all parties involved- then you don't have a rescue plan. "Call 911" is not sufficient, usually under the law. If those workers were up there for half an hour, I'm not surpised only one was rescued. Fall protection harnesses are great! But they need relief steps installed to avoid suspension pathology. Tower/Rope Access harnesses are indeed designed for long term suspension work, but if you're unconscious and aren't moving around, you're still dead. Even when you're (sort of) young, healthy and trained as I am- harness work is no joke. It's not comfortable, it's not easy, and it's not glamorous. Just because a harness manufacturer says a harness will safely hold a 300lb individual, do you think it's a good idea to send a guy up who's so fat and out of shape he bleeds gravy when he gets cut? I don't.

The lack of circulation from being suspended in a fall protection harness, even if it doesn't kill you in the air, can still get you when back on the ground. I've seen procedures change over the last several years regarding what to do with a conscious casualty on the ground. Lay them down? Sit them in a chair? Let them walk off? If your blood in your extremities is toxic and it circulates back to your heart too soon, what happens? Training and practice will keep you up to speed on this sort of thing.

I'll bet money that regular inspections of all components involved in this activity doesn't happen.

It will be a bleeding shame if these individuals died and were injured due to "we've always done it this way" and/or "it'll be fine, just hurry up and get to work".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back