Tales of Stupid

Well, we don't have any black velour curtains, we have a plaster backdrop and an upstage traveller (~3 feet from upstage wall) which we use. The schools singing competition wanted to paint the backdrop black and write on it with gold letters, and my wonderful tech teacher said that would be a great idea! And let them do it.

Technically, although i call it a theatre, it is an auditorium. No fly system, and we have to fight to make our shows look the way they do.

As far as the playwriting thing goes, its something that is getting on my nerves to no end, and one of the main reasons why I'm ready to get out of my high school at the end of this year. My tech theatre teacher is a community director in my area, and also teaches one or two theatre classes at my school. Another student and I know more than he does about tech, because she worked in a professional theatre last summer. We end up teaching our class, and also perform maintenance on our space since the mechanics in our district don't maintain it. Although he knows basic things because he is a director and has worked in the industry, he does not teach tech. He makes an appearance at the beginning and end of class, and on days when he teaches we do theatre games, theatre playwriting activities, and other stuff like that.

His "supervisor", the head theatre teacher, and him are best friends so since our administration generally avoids the fine arts department nothing is being done about his position.

I have no words for what happens in this fine arts department. It's aggravating to no end.

Another funny story: After two work orders and a year, the district maintenance people came out to our auditorium to change our houselights (over half of them were burned out) and after they walked in they informed me that the lights were, and i quote, "too high up for them to change". And they left the box of lightbulbs for us. Needless to say, i ended up changing all 30+ lightbulbs with a telescoping light bulb changer and these crazy new things called ladders, which our maintenance people apparently didn't know existed.

Last edited:
Technically, although i call it a theatre, it is an auditorium. No fly system, and we have to fight to make our shows look the way they do.

A little terminology correction needed. A fly system does not a theatre make.

A Theatre is the entire performance venue, including dressing rooms, technical facilities, lobby, box office, etc. The auditorium is where the audience is seated. So in essence, all theatres (excluding studio/blackbox spaces) have an auditorium.

Les, see Auditorium, definition #2. While I agree with you that "a fly system does not a theatre make," the distinction between theatre and auditorium is not so clear.

One of my favorite spaces has always been the Auditorium Theatre. :rolleyes:
Then there's the building on the campus of Miami University, Hall Auditorium, which even though it contains classrooms, was so named because everyone thought Hall Hall sounded silly. I guess the secondary definition of "hall," as a place of assembly, escaped them.
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/members/les.html

A little terminology correction needed. A fly system does not a theatre make.

A Theatre is the entire performance venue, including dressing rooms, technical facilities, lobby, box office, etc. The auditorium is where the audience is seated. So in essence, all theatres (excluding studio/blackbox spaces) have an auditorium.

Ah, yes. You make a valid point. The reason i normally call it an auditorium to people who aren't students who work with me is because (especially in our school district) administrators and maintenance will correct me when i say theatre because they really want it to be known that it's multipurpose... i guess. Just a habit. Our school system is interesting to say the least.

And yeah, a fly system isn't necessary to have a theatre. Shiben said thats what velour curtains were for, and i just wanted to explain (albeit indirectly) that it wasn't easy for us to change any soft goods on stage.

Well, the Janitors strike again! I 'work' in a high school, well if you want the full story, see the punching bag.

Long story short, the maintenance department called in a $6000 theatrical lighting company in that arranged lighting to the best it can be for whats readily at hand, checks lighting systems, and what not...TO DUST LIGHTS. Give me a can of air and I would of done it myself... They didn't even do a good job..

Ah, yes. You make a valid point. The reason i normally call it an auditorium to people who aren't students who work with me is because (especially in our school district) administrators and maintenance will correct me when i say theatre because they really want it to be known that it's multipurpose... i guess. Just a habit. Our school system is interesting to say the least.

And yeah, a fly system isn't necessary to have a theatre. Shiben said thats what velour curtains were for, and i just wanted to explain (albeit indirectly) that it wasn't easy for us to change any soft goods on stage.

Oh, I understand, we dont have battens either. Tying on 240' of 100% fullness velour drape in the black box was so much fun i nearly jumped off the ladder. The main point was that painting an otherwise useful backdrop black is kind of pointless, unless there is a good reason for it, seeing as velour works better, and especially if its a PITA to change it out for a new good one.

I liked last year for our production of West Side Story, where our director (the aforementioned tech teacher) wanted to have our grand drape moved to our traveler position because for the dance scene he wanted to have the gold curtain backdrop.

Not only was it a pain unhooking/bringing down/moving/bringing up/hanging the curtian via scaffolding, but we also stretched out our traveler pull rope so much (and broke the track) that now the ropes hang down in front of the traveler when closed, and the two pieces of track swing back and forth when it is closed. And our grand drape has 6 or seven nice holes in it, since it was moving up against a chain link fence that was part of our set.

Anyway... yeah the backdrop is being painted black because they want to write "Providence Idol 2010" on it in gold letters. And they expect me to light it. What i don't think they understand is that with the 40 channels (including catwalk, 3 electrics, and our floor pockets) i don't have enough to light the stage and the backdrop.

I have 6 striplights, no cyc lights, and no available batten or electric to hang 3 of the strip lights on in order to correctly light the words from the top and bottom. (Our strip lights are so dim that even on our white cyc from the floor they light 1/2 the way up.)

The other day I watched a crew member try to fly out our motorized electrics. She wasn't paying attention, and pushed the down button. Electrics 2 & 3 came in about a foot then stopped cause they were in all the way. She then told me that they were broken. I then explained that she was pushing the down button.

My costumer was telling me this story:

She had been getting annoyed at everyone for not putting all their costumes back on hangers and just leaving them out on the table, so she made an announcement to actors that they absolutely need to put everything away. We have a Trunk of Shame that costumes go in if they aren't put away, and the actor has to find the costumer and do various things to get it back. So one of the actors apparently took it way too far. They had hung all their costumes up, except for a hat, which was on the table. I really am not sure of the thought process, but she ended up cutting a hole in the top of the hat so that she could put it on a hangar. This was basically the ultimate face-palm. So the costumer fixes it up the best she could, and continues with everything.
Today the actor at the end of rehearsal says "hey, for some reason the top of my hat is coming undone..."
We were just, "oh, now how could that be?"

The GM certainly can be disabled on the Express as I just did it to my 72/144 this past week. The GM was starting to get a little flaky - you'd have to push the fader sideways to get it to register, otherwise it would drop to 0. It started off not too bad - it'd happen once in a great while, I'd slide it up and down a few times, and then it would be fine for a while. However, this past week during tech rehearsals, I couldn't get it to stay at 100% at all. I was starting to worry as the show opened on Friday and there wasn't enough time to get it fixed. I was walking across the stage doing some other work, when I had an "Ah Ha" moment and I remembered seeing a menu option that would disable the GM. I started looking through the menus and found where it was. Score! So the show went off fine, and I will be making a trip over to Middleton (since it's only about 45 minutes away - shame on me for not taking care of this problem sooner) one of these days to have the GM fixed, and one other channel fader that doesn't go any lower than 4%.

Anyways, to change the function of the GM
Go to System Settings page
#10 - Master Type
Your options are
0-Fully Disabled
1-Grandmaster
2-Sub Grandmaster
3-Scenemaster

It's on page 19 of the owners manual.

Michael

Is this possible on an Insight 1? as i've looked around but never found an option

Users who are viewing this thread

Back