Tarzan Swinging Vine

Aaron Clarke

Hey CB folks. Time for me to get that warm cozy feeling of support from the community on probably the most common sense thing in theatre rigging.

I was asked to do lights for and upcoming production of Tarzan for our community theatre. My first question I asked is "are you having Tarzan swing and if so who have you hired to rig it".

Answer from the director: "We're having *volunteer name redacted* tie a line from the main beam on the gird. We've done this before with no issue and I trust him"

This person is not a professional nor trained in rigging in anyway. Everyone involved are community volunteers with no formal training (including myself should I become involved).

My response was a stern but polite "I would love to do this but I will not be part of a production that puts a volunteer in potential danger by not employing the healthy amount of common sense that even professionals will exercise when it comes to life safety. In other words, swinging is flying and should be approached is the same manor"

I provided them with the big name flying companies names and suggested it never hurts to ask for quotes and to see what it would cost. I told them to look at their options and get back with me when they decide how you look they want to handle it and then I can give them an answer.

I'm sure I will have everyone's support here. Since becoming involved with the group my biggest worry is how a relaxed approach to safety puts the organization at huge risk. I'm pretty confident that one law suit for a injury would shut the organization down and no effect for a show is worth that.

Swinging is Flying. swinging exerts dynamic loads on it suspension point. Beams are intended, for the most part, for static loads. Without doing the calculations and a visual inspection of the condition of the beam, one cannot adequate determine that a said beam.I would not be comfortable without getting , at least, a consultation from a flying company. Even if you Have a PE research the beach and do the calculations to determine that it can handle the loads, without proper safety consultation and measures in place they are playing with Fire. Remind them of "Spiderman."

Remind them of "Spiderman."

I forgot about Spider-Man. Good example. In further discussion I did mention a couple recent flying incidents and situations of pit cover collapses. In all cases I'm sure those involved trusted the people that did those set-ups as well, that doesn't mean they were done properly.

A perfect example is at some point a volunteer wired the plugs on all pig tails on all the electrics- That trusted volunteer didn't put the cable jacket in the appropriate place on the plug to clamp the plug to the cable, they just stripped the jacket back beyond the plug. Only thing holding the plug to the cable is the actual connection inside. And you can guess it, I had one fall right off in my hand during a hang right after listening to the snap crackle and pop inside it. Note- I am slowly getting those fixed as I can.

As Van mentioned, there's a reason the flying folks have packages specifically for this.

Hey @Aaron Clarke

Keep us in the loop on this, we are always here to give you the Best Practices and examples to help your efforts to keep people safe.

Cheers,
dvsDave

Perfect move @Aaron Clarke. All the big companies will rig this effect- and guess what? It's not properly done in the fashion you've detailed here. In other words, the swing is not necessarily a swing.

"He's done it before, I trust him" is mere millimeters away from "This is how we've always done it." And both are lame reasoning.

Again, kudos for using your head and trying to get the right thing done.

You might want to throw out the question 'Have you checked with your insurance provider to make sure that this type of operation is covered?'

I know when the groups I work with do any flying they make sure to get temporary additional coverage, but the provider wants to know the company we are using to check their insurance too.

You should document your conversation with the director. Just in case any issues come up in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back