Testing and checking out a new used ETC EXpress console

variable

I'm getting my old Express 125 back from ETC tomorrow after it went belly up last month. I've also acquired a used backup console. I was wondering if anyone knew of any methods or documentation for testing your board to make sure it's all in working order. I plan to load our show into each console and run it, but I'm hoping there's some subroutine or just another ME's regular run-down routine that I could borrow to help me do a more thorough job.

Thanks,

I'm getting my old Express 125 back from ETC tomorrow after it went belly up last month. I've also acquired a used backup console. I was wondering if anyone knew of any methods or documentation for testing your board to make sure it's all in working order. I plan to load our show into each console and run it, but I'm hoping there's some subroutine or just another ME's regular run-down routine that I could borrow to help me do a more thorough job.

Thanks,

(this was written with a 24/48 in mind as that is what my school has)

I would say that if you could get like a dimmer pack, and then do a dimmer check, you could see if it outputs on all channels, then check the other output.
I would also check both stacks that the "back", "go" etc buttons works.
also, make sure all the other buttons work (bump, etc) and the sliders (masters, subs)

Thats all I can think of, im also a noob, so thats probably not all.

Last edited:
I built a simple chase test file once. Q1 C1@FL, Q2 C1@0-C2@FL etc. All on auto follow in one big loop. Then I let it run for a few hours.

Not a formal diagnostic but it does simulate a show. You can watch the progress on screen, and if you have anything plugged in you can see that the DMX is working.

Sorry, I can't get to it at the moment to post. It didn't take long to build and maybe someone will suggest an improvement.

Re: Testing a used Express console

I've seen Express test disks used in shops in the past, pretty sure I had one in my drawer back in 2002, but I've never used it and I don't know where they came from. Google hasn't been much help in that regard and the locals that I know can't get their test disks to work any more (probably because they left their test disks on the bench or in a toolbox for the last decade).

Re: Testing a used Express console

Well, I just did what I should have done first: I called ETC. They truly have the best tech support in the industry. Took me all of a 3 minute call to get the file emailed to me and I had it in my inbox by the time I hung up. If anyone needs a test bench file for your old Express/ion consoles, PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back