That DMX has a mind of its own.

Just to correct a few mistakes:
1. putting the console on the same "phase" as lighting is incorrect. Most larger systems are 3-phase systems with the lights roughly balanced between them. The console can only be on the same phase as 1/3rd of the rig.
2. However you DO want the console on the same "service" as the rig, or more specifically on the same ground. Otherwise you run the risk of having a voltage differential between the two system grounds. The resulting DC offset can make DMX unreliable.
3. 300 feet is NOT the limit of DMX! try 1500 feet! Ethernet on the other hand does have a 330 foot limit (approx 100m)
More info on DMX can be found from ESTA.org or ANSI E1.11 - 2004 on DMX.
hope this helps
RB
Lighting Crew Chief:
Television and Rock and Roll

Just to correct a few mistakes:
1. putting the console on the same "phase" as lighting is incorrect. Most larger systems are 3-phase systems with the lights roughly balanced between them. The console can only be on the same phase as 1/3rd of the rig.
2. However you DO want the console on the same "service" as the rig, or more specifically on the same ground. Otherwise you run the risk of having a voltage differential between the two system grounds. The resulting DC offset can make DMX unreliable.
3. 300 feet is NOT the limit of DMX! try 1500 feet! Ethernet on the other hand does have a 330 foot limit (approx 100m)
More info on DMX can be found from ESTA.org or ANSI E1.11 - 2004 on DMX.
hope this helps
RB
Lighting Crew Chief:
Television and Rock and Roll

Ding.......... and Ronald wins the prize. While there were several good ideas poseted there since my little list of questions his dealt with the answer . Sharynf get' a nod as well. there is a huge difference when dealing with 220/ 240 / 208, and while distros should always have their convenience outlets labelled, sadly, many don't. I don't rememeber mentioning audio anywhere in my last post but as ronald and I beleive sharyn both pointed out, It is impossible to have all you fixtures < that's a lighting term > on the same PHASE as your board, It is extremely important that your fixtures and board maintain the same GROUND.
Remeber a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, a little knowledge spread around as gospel is a really dangerous thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back