The Crucible Design

carsonld

Next year we are doing The Crucible, I am very excited to do the design for this show. As I am sketching up some plots and trying to choose some colors, I have been using the Apollo Playbook to help me. I am thinking about using R16 for front lighting, R33 for side lighting, and R54 as backlighting.

I am having trouble with these things:
  • A color for morning sunlight streaming through the window in spring. I am thinking something like R18 or R321
  • A color for stage was when it is night. Something more subtle than just blue
  • A gobo breakup for a wash effect. I have a couple ideas.
I was just wondering what everyone else has done with this show and what gels/gobos you used. Pictures are much appreciated!

Carson, it sounds like you very much need a shot of confidence.

Here's what I would do: Built time in your schedule to experiment. Get a few extra sheets of color. Explain to your director and your ME that you may want to change some of the system colors during the tech process.

And then observe closely -- take notes if it helps you -- how your lighting affects your perception of the action onstage.

Don't be afraid to experiment; don't be afraid to push your own aesthetic boundaries a little. But also realize that you're working with a team. Don't let your process bog them down.

On a completely offhand note, I find it very humorous that you're using the Apollo Playbook, but using all Rosco color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back