Tool Room - Labels?

Hi everyone!

I'm rearranging my tool room, which has pegboard, so that it matches the Backstage Handbook layout (preparing for Stagecraft class in the Spring), or so. I would like it labeled so that tools go back to their assigned space (I know, wishful thinking). Any suggestions on how to create labels that will stick to the pegboard? Would painting the pegboard white or something help, do you think?

Thanks!

Debra

Lucky you, getting to go all TD OCD in the shop!

I'd think painting first would help with label adhesion for sure, though white pegboard is available.

I'd go a step further and use whiteboard paint. Then you can use transparency pens (not whiteboard markers, they wipe off too easily) to do your labeling. You could even outline around the tools.

If you don't already have pegboard, check out slatwall. It's used in retail settings, and can be purchased with an aluminum channel inserted into the grooves for the pegs. It greatly increases the weight capacity, allowing for shelves and sledgehammers and hardware bins that pegboard would wilt under.

There are also metal pegboards, maybe one is magnetic, and you could use printable magnet sheets to create your labels. Probably stronger than the maso ones, too.

Yes, I feel pretty lucky! I came into a mess (like I always do), but "management" is open to my ideas and is willing to buy stuff for me! They seem to be concerned with safety, so that's a HUGE plus! (I've got MANY big plans, we'll see if I can implement them)

I already bought the pegboard, so I'll have to stick with that for now. I saved the metal pegboard in my cart, though, that's quite cool! I may be able to get some of that in the future. I'm thinking that slatwall is pretty far out of my price range. Whiteboard paint looks grand! and if I put the magnetic primer under it, even better! I have a bag of flat magnets (they are the center oval of a magnetic calendar one of my previous bosses sent out (in the 80's? 90's? - I got to keep the middles!) that have adhesive on one side - I can make labels on THAT for sure!

I'm hesitant to outline tools in permanent marker because I see me buying more "stuff." I don't want to color myself into a corner, although I can paint over it. . . I'll think about it!

Thank y'all for your help! I'll see if I can upload a pic when it's pretty ;-)

I would also highly recommend the outlines. Text labels are fine but when you're at the end of a 12- or 16-hr day the outlines help you turn your brain off. Making it crystal clear where things should be also helps keep people from putting them back in the wrong place, and if someone else has the tool out already you can tell pretty quickly from the outline that it's probably not in your tool storage area. For someone like yourself who's in there everyday it may not make a world of difference because you'll have that layout memorized. It greatly helps the people who are in the for the first several times or who only go in there once every few weeks.

If you don't want to risk having to repaint the pegboard to cover up old outlines, you can always use spike or e-tape to make the outlines with. Easy enough to take down later and rearrange.

Make up a good outline in one of the pegboard spots and label it "Board Stretcher". Then whenever someone green is being a little big for their britches you can send them on an hour-long escapade to prove they know exactly what a board stretcher is they just can't find it and nobody else in the shop has seen it lately. cc/ @JJBerman

One thing I found that helped was to lay out all the tools on Kraft paper beforehand, and come up with a sensible arrangement for things. I'm a big proponent of organizing them by function (measuring -> marking -> cutting -> attaching) but some objects' size and shape doesn't lead to them being easily placed in this fashion.

I've heard of people setting up their pegboard and then spray painting it with the tools on it. Has the dual purpose of indicating the layout of tools and also marking all your tools.

"Whose half-neon pink impact driver is this?"

I've never done it, but I've also never been that satisifed with a pegboard arrangement to make it permanent lol

Painting the pegboard first will help the tape stick better in my experience.

But I would not recommended outlining the tools- at least not in marker or paint. A month/ semester/year later when you get more tools or different brands the outlines won't work and it'll take more time to redraw it all. I just put a tape label above the peg noting the tool. Then make sure all my students/carps know what tool is what.

I'd add into this mix of thoughts to consider the Wall Control system over traditional pegboard. Their slot based design is a significant improvement over pegboard in my opinion. The backer is metal and completely eliminates pullout from the backboard. I've added some panels to my shop harvesting otherwise dead wall space for my T and framing squares.

Dan

Yes, I feel pretty lucky! I came into a mess (like I always do), but "management" is open to my ideas and is willing to buy stuff for me! They seem to be concerned with safety, so that's a HUGE plus! (I've got MANY big plans, we'll see if I can implement them)

I already bought the pegboard, so I'll have to stick with that for now. I saved the metal pegboard in my cart, though, that's quite cool! I may be able to get some of that in the future. I'm thinking that slatwall is pretty far out of my price range. Whiteboard paint looks grand! and if I put the magnetic primer under it, even better! I have a bag of flat magnets (they are the center oval of a magnetic calendar one of my previous bosses sent out (in the 80's? 90's? - I got to keep the middles!) that have adhesive on one side - I can make labels on THAT for sure!

I'm hesitant to outline tools in permanent marker because I see me buying more "stuff." I don't want to color myself into a corner, although I can paint over it. . . I'll think about it!

Thank y'all for your help! I'll see if I can upload a pic when it's pretty ;-)
I outline my tools in dark pencil so if I decide to rearrange I can just erase and make new outlines. It has worked fine for me.

Oh my goodness! Y'all have such great ideas! I really appreciate you sharing!!

I went with magnetic paint (that works great) with white board paint over top - that looks a mess right now and of course I don't have enough paint, but we'll see how this all works out.

Guess I’m just not much of a peg board guy. I prefer cubbies/bins/drawers. I do see the appeal of pegboard in an educational setting tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back