Track Rollers

Ech725

I found 36' steel track that I may be able to use for an upcoming production to track some doors. The track was bought before my time. I'm not sure if it was meant for a pocket door or what. I wanted to save some time by using the track, rather than building my own. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on finding the rollers. I was look for 3-4 trolley hanger. The diameter of the the wheel would have to be less than 5/8", thickness of the each wheel would be less than 1/8", and from wheel to wheel would be less than 15/16". I've checked a few hardware stores and they all carry 3/4" dia wheels. I also check out Swisco door hardware. Anyone have any suggestions?

Without knowing the manufacture, suggestions are tough. Could you post a picture so we something to go on? My only other thought is commercial garage companies.

I did not think about garage companies. Yeah I figured it would not be easy. I may have to make my own track.

Without knowing the manufacture, suggestions are tough. Could you post a picture so we something to go on? My only other thought is commercial garage companies.

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 243
You may want to look at a trolley that is intended to hang sliding glass shower doors. They usually attach to one side of the piece, are offset so the door hangs plumb, can support considerable weight and may well fit within your parameters

Unless I am totally wrong, that track is extruded aluminum rather than steel. The track pictured is far too small and light weight to be a garage door track. It looks similar in size (but not quite the correct extrusion) to the ADC model #113-Light-Duty straight Window Curtain track. The carriers for the ADC track almost meet you specs. 15/16" outside to outside of wheels, wheels 1/8" thick, Wheel Diameter however is 11/16". Carriers are very light weight, ADC specs one every 4 inches and the track to hold a max of 4 lbs per ft.

What is the weight of the doors you want to hang? What size? how fast do they move, walk-a-long or rope operated?

If the present track is unuseable, or too lightweight for your needs, you might try looking at local builder's supply houses or farmer's hardware stores for rolling shed door tracks. They're a lot bigger than the track you have on hand, but they can carry some serious weight.

That is a shower door track. A local real lumberyard (not a big box) might be able to match it, but it is very lightweight. As has been said, try overhead garage door tracks for more weight or shed door tracks for even more weight. Of course, the metal wheels on these will be very noisy, but that's okay. The sound guys just LOVE a challenge. On the other hand, I have used in-line skate wheels in garage door track when I needed quiet operation to keep from getting brained with a mike stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back