Training

peacefulone61

I went to school for lighting design and technical direction. At the time it was a decent education but it was done on analog systems (resistance dimmers) and build your own Gel changers ( a bunch of wood wire and an impact driver) I would never exchange any of these experiences for anything in the world because I feel that i have become more resourceful for it. That being said, I have a new job that has newer equipment and we are about to retrofit and upgrade our theater to DMX Dimmers and even more MACs and other DMX controlled lights. I am finding myself a little out of my league both in programing and in knowing what is out there for options. I was wondering if there were any recommendations on getting up to speed.

Thank you

Where in Boston are you? Please feel free to PM me, I may be able to stop by your space sometime and give you some advice, we just finished upgrading our space at Newton North High School so I may be able to offer you some advice on the entire process.

peacefulone61, first of all, you have a wonderful resource right here. What type of gear are you in most need of help? If you are looking for advice on which console/dimmer/widget to upgrade to, as with any good salesperson, we are also going to ask about the things you are trying to do. I personally don't push for a grandMA because that console is beyond what I need (permanent show setup), but I might go on to their site and learn the basics as much as possible for the occasion that I might run one someday. So, tell us a little about what you need and let us help you get in gear.

peacefulone61, first of all, you have a wonderful resource right here. What type of gear are you in most need of help? If you are looking for advice on which console/dimmer/widget to upgrade to, as with any good salesperson, we are also going to ask about the things you are trying to do. I personally don't push for a grandMA because that console is beyond what I need (permanent show setup), but I might go on to their site and learn the basics as much as possible for the occasion that I might run one someday. So, tell us a little about what you need and let us help you get in gear.

At this point it is a little bit of everything. I am at the point where when it comes to the new technologies i do not know what i do not know. I have an ETC smart fade with two MAC500 attached through an ETCNet configuration. I cannot get them to respond with any consistency. At some point down the line in the next three to five years I need to upgrade my systems dimmers we are running analog dimmers and the house lights and other lights in the space are all controlled as separate systems requiring students in three different locations to work together just to dim the house lights. So basically I am just trying to find my way through the system at the moment.

Where in Boston are you? Please feel free to PM me, I may be able to stop by your space sometime and give you some advice, we just finished upgrading our space at Newton North High School so I may be able to offer you some advice on the entire process.

I am located at Pingree school in South Hamilton Ma, I would defiantly welcome the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back