Trussing For Banner Hanging

DuckJordan

Touring IATSE Member
Okay, So I've gotten the go ahead to get a quote for some truss, We are looking for 100' of 10' sticks. These will be used to hang banners (sub 100lbs) and we have rated hardware for hanging. Unfortunately my Google search yielded little entertainment truss companies and gave me more of a Construction type. We do have a Granger in our area but the prices are very outlandish (we can get most of the stuff we need cheaper out of our area and shipped in at a less price).

We are located in Sioux Falls, SD.

Thanks for any advise.

quick edit: We are looking for I-beam truss but if its not much more expensive I'd like to find either triangle or square.

Last edited:
I would call a theatrical supply in minneapolis.
Any of these places should be able to get you correct pricing, Hell if you want I can get you pricing for Thomas truss as I am a dealer.

Places to call,
Gopher Stage lighting
Secoa
Stage technology

When you say I-beam truss, I assume you mean flat, or ladder truss? 12" tall?

Correct 12" flat, ladder, or I-beam, I have seen all used interchangeably.

Noted and will call them.

If you could send me a PM I can let you know some more of the details.

If you have the budget, I'd skip ladder truss. Get 12 x 12 and you'll be able to use it for a wider variety of things, and if you ever sell it, you can get a greater return on your investment. My guess is that 12 x 12 is not that much more expensive than ladder truss, anyway, although it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

If all you are hanging is banners, you might be interested in the Total Truss New Wave truss. Total Structures - Products / Truss / New Wave Truss Very light, a 10' section weighs only 12 lbs, so rigging can be less massive. Very strong, the tubing is carbon fiber and comes in colors if you want. It is 6" x 6" so very little headroom is used by the truss, but because of the cross section size is so small, 24' is the max recommended span between picks. Just a thought

I personally would like to see us get square or triangle, the issue is storage. We are severely lacking in storage as is and while we have the space for the ladder truss, Its been a hard fight just to get the storage for the ten sticks of ladder.

I personally would like to see us get square or triangle, the issue is storage. We are severely lacking in storage as is and while we have the space for the ladder truss, Its been a hard fight just to get the storage for the ten sticks of ladder.

Why not just get 12x12 medium duty box and store in place? Im assuming this is for your gym/arena setting that you were asking about earlier? No one is gonna really care if you store it in the air. Just put a safety on there and let it sit in the air.

If all you are hanging is banners, you might be interested in the Total Truss New Wave truss. Total Structures - Products / Truss / New Wave Truss Very light, a 10' section weighs only 12 lbs, so rigging can be less massive. Very strong, the tubing is carbon fiber and comes in colors if you want. It is 6" x 6" so very little headroom is used by the truss, but because of the cross section size is so small, 24' is the max recommended span between picks. Just a thought

That is a seriously cool looking product.

Why not just get 12x12 medium duty box and store in place? Im assuming this is for your gym/arena setting that you were asking about earlier? No one is gonna really care if you store it in the air. Just put a safety on there and let it sit in the air.

And this is where assuming gets you in trouble. This is for our exhibit halls. So this would be moved on a regular basis and needs to come down after every event. We would like to "sell" (read as rent) to our clients the truss so instead of them saying can we just hang it from there or our sales staff saying "Sure you can use that" we'd like to have them come talk to us before hand about using it. Also we have to worry about public appearance and with 10' sticks hanging in the air in seemingly random places in an empty ex hall would look awkward. Hence the storage dilemma.

And this is where assuming gets you in trouble. This is for our exhibit halls. So this would be moved on a regular basis and needs to come down after every event. We would like to "sell" (read as rent) to our clients the truss so instead of them saying can we just hang it from there or our sales staff saying "Sure you can use that" we'd like to have them come talk to us before hand about using it. Also we have to worry about public appearance and with 10' sticks hanging in the air in seemingly random places in an empty ex hall would look awkward. Hence the storage dilemma.

Got ya. I suppose it does make an a** out of me at least. I tend to really hate flat truss because not only do I think its less good at hanging stuff, I also hate handling it. You could put it in a 20' shipping container, I hear you can get one for well under 4 grand and its a literally bulletproof storage system... I really like the look of that super thin stuff MPowers linked to, would look great in a ballroom/exhibition hall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back