Undergrad Design Admissions Questions

cpdibari

Hello,

I'm applying for undergrad design programs and I was wondering if I could get some tips on what places expect/what to include in my portfolio.

I'm applying to:

NYU,BU,Fordham,DePaul, Montclair State University, Rutgers University, and Brooklyn College.

I have started to build a basic website with some photos. In terms of drawing skills or fine arts classes, I virtually have none. I took all the theatre classes at my high school. I have been involved with all the productions. I have SM'd LD'd and ASD'd. I design lights for a local church on Sundays, and this summer I had an internship at a LORT C theatre. I left with a good relationship with the production manager there.

Is there anything in terms of what I should add to my portfolio that would make me a better candidate for admission? I have a few plots, but I didn't draw them myself, since I am not really proficient with CAD.

Do you think these things (no drawing classes/experience and no CAD) will hold me back in the admissions process?

Here is a link to my website: www.cpdibaridesigns.com (I know that sounds totally pretentious for a high school kid to have, but I just couldn't think of anything else)

Thank you for any feedback!

Do you do any photography? Do you have anything that shows that you are and orginized person who will apply yourself to whatever you do? Do you have anything that shows you are a creative person?

Right now, your website is not what I would call the best foot forward. It terms of design, you did not really make any strong choices. Also, colleges will accept you based on a in person interview/portfolio review. Academia has yet to catch up to the rest of the world when it comes to websites. Build a paper based portfolio and when you do, make sure it shows your artistic eye.

Undergrad programs don't expect for you to know how to draft or how to do design. They can teach you how to take your vision to the stage, they can't teach you how to get a vision. They are looking for people with an artistic eye, do whatever you can to show them that.

A basic website is a good thing to have, but for college interviews you will really want to have some physical to show your interviewer, people like having things to flip through.

Don't worry about not having art or drafting classes in HS, most don't. You will learn all that in college.

It looks like you have been active and are in pretty good shape, I would suggest asking the production manager at that LORT theatre to write you a letter of reconmendation to send out with your applications, those are always helpful. Also if you have notes or things to show your though process I always found colleges like to see those.

I'm also working on an online portfolio. The problem I'm having is that with the website I'm using, I can only have 4 different "galleries". Right now I have it seperated into one highlight light design, the rest of my light designs, visual art, and photography. But I may have to change my light design galleries into musicals and plays, is that an ok way to organize it? or would it be better to try to find a new site that allows more galleries?
Link here: Sarah Stolnack: Lighting Designer

do you have any ground plans? wall elevations? any thing that shows your designs. even just photos will work. and photography is great i had sections of a concentration and schools loved that, it was a good contrast from my shop drawings, im a TD.

i asume you want to go for scenic design.

and by the way add University of North Carolina School of the Arts to your list. we are easy top 3 for college on the east coast.

thanks!

I am in the process of assembling my paper portfolio, i have picture sets for four or five shows as well as paperwork for those. I also have some sketches of the set in a production journal i've been keeping, and some prompt books The website is just something "extra" i figure might be good to have if they want to take a second look at me.

in terms of photography and other visual art, i don't have much, should i just go take alot of photographs from here on out?

I have a pretty good smattering of stuff from realized productions do i still need to have outside fine arts stuff? how should i develop that type of stuff so quickly?

Thank you everybody!

A few things which come to mind. 1) I would be careful about including designs where you only have an ALD credit. In general ALDs aren't doing a whole lot of creative contributing so I would think that ALD credited shows are best left for the resume since most interviewers won't really consider them to be a reflection of your ability as an artist. That said, if you have paperwork or plots that you produced as ALD, those could probably be included. 2) I know that many interviewers really care about presentation (Roger at BU comes to mind) so put a lot of effort into making sure that your paper portfolio is well laid-out, printed on high quality printers/paper, and assembled in a professional looking binder/presentation book. I have had good success with my Pina Zangaro 11x17 Landscape screwpost book with the polyester sheet protectors. I also do the layout for my portfolio entirely on the computer (Adobe InDesign) and then have each page printed instead of assembling individual photos, pieces of artwork, labels, etc on backing paper. I find that this method is especially good when the school asks for an upload to accompany their in-person portfolio review. I know BU wants an upload (not a website) and I suspect there are other schools that want something similar. 3) Include a headshot. Many colleges want want to help the interviewer match a face/impression to a name/application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back