Loudspeakers unmarked subwoofer

ok i managed to get a photo up.
proxy.php

Attachments

• Photo 0060.jpg
    Photo 0060.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 221
Alex, can't tell whose it is from that picture but that looks like a typical two-way (woofer and horn), full range box rather than a subwoofer.

Subwoofers need to move more air and so different parameters are optimised in design compared with a full range box.

You may not be able to change the frequency response of a box, but if you change the frequency characteristics of the input signal you can get a markedly different result. This is how most manufacturers cover up the design compromises in their boxes, with processor settings to "optimise" the sound...

A crossover is merely going to remove in this case the highs and so the tweeter will simply get minimal signal, effectively none.

Get a tape measure out and measure the woofer. It is HIGHLY unlikely to be 2' - a 24" sub is in the world of car stereo pimping... *shudder*

Consider in this case that sub might be relative - if the normal boxes are say 8" woofers then anything bigger than that will have more bass response. We're talking about teachers commenting on things outside their sphere of expertise here...

Ok the head of drama though it was a subwoofer. it dose have a large woofer on it though about 2ft id say, if you used a crossover with it woudl ti funcan as a sub? or would the crossover damage the horn?
I guess that depends on your interpretation of "function". It is a device intended to function as a full range box, which means that the drivers are probably not selected nor the box designed to function as a subwoofer. It may be able to provide some low frequency support for smaller speakers but is probably very limited in functioning as a true subwoofer, especially if any internal crossover includes a high pass filter for the LF driver that would limit the low frequency response.

Speaking of the internal crossover, while using that speaker as a sub with an external crossover would most likely mean rolling off the signal feeding it well below the internal crossover point, there may still be some interaction between the two.

Maybe if you disconnected or removed the internal crossover and directly fed the LF driver only, but then you'd still have an unknown driver in an enclosure designed as a full range device.

ok i managed to get a photo up.
proxy.php

Almost looks like an old Crate or Radio Shack design, although Crate usually had their logo on the grill. Get out a screw driver and pull the woofer and horn/driver assembliess out. Often times manufactures will note a model number on the back of the magnet. Googleing a model number may lead you to more info. Generally though, If the manufacture isn't proud enough to put their name on it.......:rolleyes:

ye drama head is what we all call him, he dose have some knolage on teching and more knolage on what equipment they have. that last post i posted dosent make sence to me now so i dont quite know what i was getting at there. the 2ft prob isnt quite true (i am awefull at gessing size's, very bad for a product design student :rolleyes:) more like 15". i did look on the back of the magnet and evrywhere i could unscrew a screw and nothing, gess the manufacture realy isnt proud of this modle!

ye drama head is what we all call him, he dose have some knolage on teching and more knolage on what equipment they have. that last post i posted dosent make sence to me now so i dont quite know what i was getting at there. the 2ft prob isnt quite true (i am awefull at gessing size's, very bad for a product design student :rolleyes:) more like 15". i did look on the back of the magnet and evrywhere i could unscrew a screw and nothing, gess the manufacture realy isnt proud of this modle!

Or you're not looking hard enough...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back