UPGRADE ADVICE !

shaunthay

Hi all once again,

May church is looking to upgrade it's lighting system and do a overhaul of all current fixtures. I'm hoping to have more movers to be more flexible and also as my venue is most of the time rented out on Sundays. We do productions and specials events quite heavily and detailed production is required especially for dramas. For these, i rent in lights from outside and its quite a hassle and not worth it. Im looking for something flexible. My place is about 6ft high and sits about 150++ pax. We currently use battens to rig our lights and have none above the stage. We will defitnly change to trussing and install it over the stage if needed. We are a contempary church, singing songs from Jesus Culture, Hillsong etc etc. I already have some ideas, but defitnely still open to more ideas from you guys. Cheers!

You must be working lighting miracles in a space with only 6 feet of height! The fixtures must be very small.

Seriously though, how tall is your venue floor to ceiling. 6' is just over the height of a person, if you hung a light it would hit you in the face. Do you have a picture or two of the space?

What's your approximate budget? Some churches think $2,000 is a lot for a lighting upgrade. Others are ready to spend $200,000.

My opinion always starts with what's become known around here as The Gafftaper Method. The short version, carefuly consider what you really want from a mover before buying them and consider components instead. When they built the theater I work at they bought four ETC Revolutions. They are great, but what do we use them for? A repositionable spot light that changes colors. Instead of buying four Revolutions I could have had 8 (perhaps 10?) Source Fours with Seachangers and iCues. I could have had double the fixtures and infinite color combinations instead of the 12 in the Revolution. Read my "method"

6m is a huge difference! So a ~20ft ceiling and you have no lights over the stage? What do you have FOH? Seats only 150+ people? That's pretty small room. Pictures would help immensely. What is your budget? What is your goal? Are you aiming to light Sunday services, concerts, potlucks, all of the above? What kind of power do you have? There are so many questions to answer before anyone is going to have any specific suggestions.

-Tim

Also do you already have a light board and what is it? The need to upgrade the light board or not can be a huge factor on a small budget system upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back