Automated Fixtures Vari-Lites deleting patches?

gpq

I've been trying to help out my old school (I was the TD/ Theatre Arts teacher) with some issues. We have two Veralite intelligent lights and an ETC 48/96 board. We've used them for a number of years with no problem. However, for this past show, when we set up (patch) and run the Veralites, some, not all, of the patching of the rest of the plot is deleted- but only on the two electrics that have DMX on them. However, it's not everything on those two pipes (I haven't had time to see if it's always the same circuits, that's the next step); the Veralites are the only instruments using DMX. Nothing has significantly changed recently. We tried several times, and then just stopped using them so we could get the show done. The lighting designer they brought in for that show had never seen this happen before, and neither had I.
Now that we have some time, we've tried again, and the same thing keeps happening. This is so random, I don't even know where to start troubleshooting (although, see above).
I've never heard of this happening, and really can't even begin to guess why. It kind of makes me thing I'm imagining things.
Has anyone run into this issue before? And if so, what did you do?
Thanks,
GPQ

sounds like you mispatched the fixtures overwriting other parts of the plot, do you have an old show disk you can load the patch from?

1st off its Vari-Lite unless this woman is holding flashlights on your stage.

2nd Pie and Tex are pointing you in the right direction, if your Vari-lites are on the same universe as your dimmers (which also use DMX) then you're probably screwing up your soft patch at the board. Either change the DMX address on the VL's so it doesn't conflict with your dimmer or run it out of the 2nd universe.

Sorry for the misspelling, but we did have this strange women roaming about backstage. That might explain it.
We'll try to change the universe, that makes sense, although it doesn't explain why we never had this problem for ten years. I"ll bet it's that **** woman coming in every night to change things. Along with the gremlins.
Seriously, though, thanks for suggestions. It's nice to know that we're not imaging things.
GPQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back