vectorworks and Lightwright not playing nicely

dwdavedw

I'm getting errors in lightwright instrument counting. Not counting several instruments that appear in the vectorworks plot, and in the lightwright channel list.
Checked all of the units in vw, all units are there, have the same symbol, are listed as being on their positions.
Lightwright channel list has them listed, on their positions. Instrument counting in lightwright comes up short. Vectorworks inventory displays correct count.
I tried quitting lightwright, saving the vw file as new version, did a refresh instruments in vw, create paperwork, opened lightwright and linked to the new vw file - same thing.
Also another annoying problem I've noticed VW keeps losing the Alt 6 x 9 symbol, I re-imported the symbol, selected all 6 by 9's and gave them the new symbol - happened again about
10 minutes later. Some units go to no symbol at all, just see the label legend around the missing unit, other units go to a plain rectangle.
Any hints appreciated, worried there are other things in error with paperwork, don't want to have to cross check everything with vw paperwork. Ug.

I assume you are linking the LW and VW files, either via the automatic exchange in LW 5 and VW 2009 (maybe) and later ?. Or are you doing the import/export routine ?

Couple of things to check. Enable in Lightwright, to view the Symbol and Vectorworks UID columns (Worksheet - Columns, click on what you want to view). Double check that you have correct symbol names in the symbol column and that it matches the symbol name in VW (or check for missing symbol names). Also check that there are valid UID's in LW. If symbol names are missing in LW, it'll create rectangles in VW when the data goes to VW.

Also double check that in either the Import/Export map, and/or the automatic exchange LW field choice, you are linking the symbol names and UID's between files. If this gets screwed up all kind of errors crop up.

Also double check that all the symbols/units you want to count are in the system you want to count in LW. It''s possible to accidentally move a unit (or units) into System B, etc... and that'll screw up the counting, if you are asking to count all units in System A.

In automatic exchange, there is no UID field, there is fixture id- I think it's automatic, you can't choose to not import it. In worksheet, I can see lightwright id, Ext ID, and symbol. ID numbers appear to be viable - I don't see any duplicate
numbers within the group of units that aren't being counted properly. Symbols all match. All units are system A. Did a LW "search" for all Parnels, and all 14 show up, but counting only counts 8. Not sure what you mean by
linking symbol names and UID's between files.
Thanks for the ideas, still puzzled.

Have you verified that every unit has a unique position AND unit number? I have run into similar miscounting in LW (counting less units than expected). If there two units are on a position with the same number in VW, they may both show up in LW but counting will count them as a single unit. Selecting just Parnels might show 14 units listed on the screen, but an inventory count might show 8 due to some matched unit numbers. My plots develop system by system and in my case, numbering needs to be redone/checked as i finish up to resolve this.

It sure could be something completely different, but this is one thing you could rule out if nothing else.

Good luck.

YES! You Nailed it. I had duplicated some units and don't usually renumber things till later in the process. Counting is golden.
My 6 x 9's haven't lost their symbol in a while, I am hoping doing the data exchange again from a clean worksheet has solved that.
Thanks to you both!

In automatic exchange, there is no UID field, there is fixture id- I think it's automatic, you can't choose to not import it. In worksheet, I can see lightwright id, Ext ID, and symbol. ID numbers appear to be viable - I don't see any duplicate
numbers within the group of units that aren't being counted properly. Symbols all match. All units are system A. Did a LW "search" for all Parnels, and all 14 show up, but counting only counts 8. Not sure what you mean by
linking symbol names and UID's between files.
Thanks for the ideas, still puzzled.

EDIT: Glad you solved the problem. As general comment,

You are correct that the automatic method does not allow the choice of selecting for exporting/importing the EID/UID (VW and LW uses different terminology), but since I did not know from your OP whether you were using automatic or older import/export of data, it becomes one of the troubleshooting steps.

If LW loses the symbol name for any reason, the symbol type gets lost in VW and turns to a rectangle. Thus I've found it important to check on occasion that my LW column has correct symbol names. The automatic exchange "links" theses 2 important references - UID/EID and Symbol. and without both you get a screwed up data exchange.

If both LW and VW are showing the correct numbers of certain types of units, in this case 14 ParNels, but your instrument count is odd, then look at the counting method. Something in the count window - "Regular Count, Count Normal" selected ?. Do you have 14 ParNels when you sort by Intrument Type ?. Check your Maintenance - Instrument type list to make sure you don't have something like 8 as ParNel" and 6 as "Parnel". That kind of error traps me all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back