Wagon pivot

hamlett22

I am looking to buy a pivoting system for a 12' wide by 19' long wagon.

The wagon stays in one central point on stage the whole show.

It rotates to three different positions and locks via casters and a wagon brake on the U.S. side.

So I would like a nice pivoting system for this wagon which is heavy (over 800 lbs).

I know I could just throw a flange on the underside with a pipe sticking out of it and seated into another flange mounted to the stage floor with a slightly larger pipe sticking up to receive the smaller pipe.

BUT...

I've never been able to get a nice solid connection between both that will NOT jiggle.

So i'd like a pivoting system that has a bearing, a mounting plate for both the underside of the wagon and the stage floor and a axle or pipe that extends between both top and bottom that can be seated or tightened down.

I'm in Shanghai china so i need a solution that I can order online and ship over.

Any ideas or leads?

Thanks

Hamlett22

Get a few Pillow Blocks, a bit of shaft, and a flange bearing to attach to the deck and you are set. I have done this a few times for pieces that the standard two sleeved pipe won't work.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I did the set for "Noises off", by using a pipe stub screwed into a flange, and then machined a second flange on my lathe so that the pipe would ride smoothly inside. Bolted the flange with the pipe secured to the stage floor with lag bolts. Used the machined flange on the set, with a hole drilled up through the set. We did 22 performances plus rehearsals and never had a problem.
We used the same concept on two buildings in "To Kill a Mockingbird".

Tom Johnson
Florida's Most Honored Community Theatre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back