Water projection

csilvia9

Hi, Im just starting production of the Little Mermaid Jr at our Junior High. My Director would like to use video projection to create a water effect. I don't have the money to rent H2O projectors so thought I could do something with the existing projectors we have. What I need is a video of rippling water. I have some knowledge of Adobe After Effects and was thinking of creating an animation. Does anyone have some advice?

Thank you
Csilvia

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the ones we made with After Effects for Frog & Toad. PM me and we'll work out the download.

Underwater effects look more realistic if the light appears to come from above rather than from a front light, since the majority of light in the sea comes from above (bio-luminescent creatures excepted). I don't know if you have the right mounting hardware for overhead use but if so, you might consider mounting a projector pointing down. I'm doing Little Mermaid Jr. in June and I'm spoiled by having several MLs with a feature set that makes for excellent water effects, and a console that makes slow colour chases through the rest of the rig a breeze.

Apollo and Rosco have some cookbooks for water effects here, if renting a gobo rotator or other effect device is an option.

Apollo Design | Creative F/X Guide
RoscoEffects's channel - YouTube

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back