Website for green set building

kicknargel

I was eating in at a local health food store (yeah... I live in California:rolleyes:) When I noticed that the cutlery was made from starch. It got me to wondering if anyone has thought of using starch in this way in place of plastics. The forks, spoons, and knives all felt rigid and durable and yet completely biodegradable.
Not sure what the process is like or how realistic it is to think that this starch process is workable and or affordable for our uses...

Sadly, the most green form of theatre is totally dead outside of ballet... leg and drop shows.

Any way you cut it, this is one of the most wasteful industries out there. You have Bono standing onstage asking us to save the environment... on a stage that travels in 30 trucks and he flys in a private jet. I have had talent stand on my stage and say how they are saving the environment by not allowing any plastic water bottles onstage... while being lit by 150+ 1k lamps and as their bus generator idles outside.

So, yes, reuse flats when you can. Get designers to build in 1',2', and 4' increments. I've done 4 show seasons where I fill up a 10 yard dumpster at the end of the season. I have also done shows where we filled up a 30 yard dumpster after just doing 5 shows.

So, yes, reuse flats when you can. Get designers to build in 1',2', and 4' increments. I've done 4 show seasons where I fill up a 10 yard dumpster at the end of the season. I have also done shows where we filled up a 30 yard dumpster after just doing 5 shows.

Our school is using flats made in 1997. We use most pieces of scenery until it becomes to small because it has been cut down to much, or filled with holes so much you can't attach anything to them. YMMV

I was eating in at a local health food store (yeah... I live in California:rolleyes:) When I noticed that the cutlery was made from starch. It got me to wondering if anyone has thought of using starch in this way in place of plastics. The forks, spoons, and knives all felt rigid and durable and yet completely biodegradable.
Not sure what the process is like or how realistic it is to think that this starch process is workable and or affordable for our uses...

I've seen more and more water bottles and plastic cups as of late that are completely biodegradable just like that, and except for the label telling me it would do that, I wouldn't have noticed a difference.

Just a note, very little biodegrades in a landfill, no matter how many times the words "green," "eco," or "environment" appear on the packaging.

Just a note, very little biodegrades in a landfill, no matter how many times the words "green," "eco," or "environment" appear on the packaging.

On the "concourse level" of the complex I work in we have several cafeterias that use the starch based utensils, salad containers, etc. However, none of these things will biodegrade by simply putting them in the ground. They have to be thrown in commercial composter to really biodegrade.

There is one thing that does really help make theatres green... money. Re-using flats makes for cheap shows. Unfortunately, in the world of professional theatre stock usually loses out to custom.

Last edited:
My favorite "green" moment was when the woman introducing Ani DiFranco proudly announced that the show tonight was powered entirely by wind power. I looked at her from behind my Express that runs a rig comprised entirely of 1k lamps powered by 40 year old dimmers and laughed hysterically. You couldn't make enough wind power to even cool the building from all the heat those things put out. I later found out that what actually happened is they bought some wind credits, but the woman presented it as if there were was a field of windmills on our roof. Ridiculous.

But of course disposal isn't the only area of concern. Origin of the products and substances used are perhaps more important. My shop does not use lauan, as its use has fully deforested the Philippines and so far about 80% of Malaysia. We pay a couple bucks more for 1/4 birch ply, which is identical in use, but not a rainforest product.

If you ever get a chance to chat with Bob Usdin, the owner of Shwoman Fabricators, you would be amazed at what they have done to reduce their waste stream.

Of course, much of that is, as Footer says, because the industry as whole has become so wasteful. When you start from doing nothing it is pretty easy to make big strides.

That aside, Showman is serious about their efforts and truly is leading the way in improving the industry track record. Bob is quite sincere in approach (he calls it "evangelical") and is happy to talk to anyone about what steps they can take.

Paul

But of course disposal isn't the only area of concern. Origin of the products and substances used are perhaps more important. My shop does not use lauan, as its use has fully deforested the Philippines and so far about 80% of Malaysia. We pay a couple bucks more for 1/4 birch ply, which is identical in use, but not a rainforest product.

Do you use a local supplier? Cause it looks like Lowe's is a $15 difference between lauan and birch?!

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back