Which USB-DMX Interface?

mancerman

Hi CB'ers,

I am looking to get hold of a USB DMX Interface (just one universe) as a temporary solution for our Strand 300 being down (a regular occurrence :evil:). I am familiar with MagicQ on a laptop so I need something cheapish (for non profit youth theatre) but pretty robust. I have seen Chamsys do a two channel one, but at a cool £450.

Has anybody had any experience with Enttec?

Thanks,

Lewis
Cambridge, UK

I use the enttec USB-Pro in several installations and have had no issues with it. Seems to work well.

I agree the Enttec Pro is the way to go at $150 it is a bargain and the features of Chamsys MagicQ PC are remarkable. I have been using that combo for a year and over 7 shows and I have never had a single problem, just make sure you don't get the open USB.

I agree the Enttec Pro is the way to go at $150 it is a bargain and the features of Chamsys MagicQ PC are remarkable. I have been using that combo for a year and over 7 shows and I have never had a single problem, just make sure you don't get the open USB.

Haha you posted that as I was recommending the Open USB. What's the problem with the Open USB?

I love the Pro USB. I am thinking of buying the shortcut board from ENTTEC and trying it with Chamsys, but I don't know of anyone with experience with it yet, to see if it works.

Mike

My understanding is that the Enttec Open USB uses the CPU in the computer for some of it's processing. The USB Pro has a CPU in the box.

Using the computers CPU can introduce timing issues that will make the output occasionally drop out. The PRO is just a lot more reliable.

My understanding is that the Enttec Open USB uses the CPU in the computer for some of it's processing. The USB Pro has a CPU in the box.

Using the computers CPU can introduce timing issues that will make the output occasionally drop out. The PRO is just a lot more reliable.

This is very true, however with most up to date computers you shouldn't see any problems. I've been using the Enttec Open USB for 3 years now with my laptop without any issues. That being said I do plan on spending the extra money for the pro for the insurance of having the current state memory. Not due to problems with open Enttec unit or the laptop but more for the fact that I don't trust Windows and haven't gotten around to building a Linux box for this purpose.

The Open USB does use the computer to process and create the DMX signal, I used it on a fairly up to date computer and every 15 seconds or so it would momentarily drop signal causing the lights to flickr, this can be especially bad for movers because they would twitch. The Pro does all the processing on board so it is infinitely more reliable. Even is the open doesn't cause any problems during tech say Windows Updater or something kicks on and starts taking more system resources your signal may start dropping.
In my opinion it is easily worth the $90 extra to go for the pro to ensure you don't have any of these issues. Also if you use it on multiple laptops it won't matter what their available resources are. I've run shows off a netbook which definitely couldn't have handled the open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back