Wifi iOS/android DMX control, without PC

Are there any options for a WiFi DMX control using an iOS or Android app that doesn't require a PC with DMX out? Similar, perhaps, to the rack-mount sound boards that do not have a hard control surface (Behringer XAir comes to mind.)
Looking for a single universe, mainly for static RGBA pars, with a handful of scenes that would store on the DMX output 'box'.
Thanks,
Kevin (At Blinn)

Looks like Lumenair still requires a PC with a dongle?

Perhaps something like the Pathway Choreo? It's the whole board in a wall box with a touchscreen, controllable over iOS.

Still seems like it might be overkill for what you're trying to do.

You need an app that will output a TCP/IP based show control network protocol (Art-Net, sACN), a node that can convert the network protocol to DMX, and a wifi router or access point to connect them. When selecting your node, you may want to pay particular attention to how it behaves when incoming signal is lost. @JohnD has suggested options for both the app and the node. I know that there are many other options for the node and there may be other apps that could work as well.

Are there any options for a WiFi DMX control using an iOS or Android app that doesn't require a PC with DMX out? Similar, perhaps, to the rack-mount sound boards that do not have a hard control surface (Behringer XAir comes to mind.)
Looking for a single universe, mainly for static RGBA pars, with a handful of scenes that would store on the DMX output 'box'.
Thanks,
Kevin (At Blinn)

A cue server could do that, though you program it ahead, and if youre looking for just static color options, Chauvet;s Flarecon hub and app make easy work of RGBA color picking.

Visual Productions http://www.visualproductions.nl/ has a nice line of products that do a variety of these situations.

Be aware that something has to hold the DMX values in case the wifi is slow or stops. The best solutions I've seen have a box that runs the actual program and the wifi/tablet just sends operation instructions (go) to the box. That box can be a PC, a console, a buffered gateway or whatever, but it's important to have it.

The Visual Productions solution is interesting! After some research and conversation with a regular supplier/installer/dealer, I'm thinking that wifi may not be best. I'm considering a Mosaic or a Nomad Puck with a rackmount touchscreen. I already have an ION in that space, and I would be very comfortable programming a magic sheet or two with channels, colors, and direct selects and uploading to the puck. Seems like many of the solutions are $2-3k, and I think I can do this for $3k. More if I go with 1024 addresses and two DMX mergers, but then the rack can have control over everything in the space. If I can swing this, I'm admittedly more than a little excited by the possibilities. It also frees the ION to move to other performance venues in the building and off-campus, while maintaining full control in the main auditorium.
Thanks for everyone's input!
Kevin (at Blinn)

Look at Interactive technologies. They tend to be simple and inexpensive, but high reliability. http://interactive-online.com/ I'm not sure if it will do what you want but they have a couple of apps that talk to the cuer server in a rack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back