Wireless Wireless Frequency Coordination

Repeater

Hi all, I work at a large church here and we are having some minor issues with wireless dropouts in our IEM system.

We use Shure UHF-R receivers for the mics, and typically there may be 8-12 in use on stage at one time. These do work fine, with no issues at all, but their associated mics obviously are a part of the RF on stage. The antennas for these receivers are active directional UA-874, stage right and left within 50-75 feet of the users.

The IEMs are also Shure, and are quite new. We use 7 at one time. I don't know their exact models right now. (I'm not the actual audio guy, but I'm familiar with RF so I'm working on this for him). The transmitters are mounted in an on-stage rolling rack, within 50 feet or so of the users. The antennas are not combined, but separate antennas, often hanging in clumps on the fronts of the transmitters. I realize that this *could* be a problem, perhaps causing intermod. Comments?

In any case I do suspect that we may have an intermod problem. I don't believe that any of the frequencies of either system were selected by using suggested frequency groups or with the use of an intermod program.

It looks to me that the Wireless Workbench program (and others) are geared to their respective brand's equipment, meaning that IFs and other specific frequencies are taken into account within each brand's intermod program when you select the system in program setup. I can see that will work great when concerned only a UHR-R system for example, but here I have a number of beltpack receivers with their own spurious responses, different from the UHF-R receivers. The IEM receivers are not listed in the Workbench program. Meaning, that image response, for example, is different for each model of receiver. (I'd be glad to be wrong on this, because it would simplify things. Then most any intermod program should work.)

A. Is a generic intermod program just as useful as the 'brand specific' ones?

B. I assume we should move our frequencies to the suggested groups where possible, yes? Or doesn't that really matter when using an intermod program to pick/reject frequencies? (Maybe the groups would be a good starting point, then reject 'problem' frequencies from there.)

So I'm asking for the best way to coordinate frequencies on a stage like this. This would mean the mics, IEM transmitters, com base and packs, and anything else that we have control of.

I hope this made sense. Thanks!

Laryn

I would suspect intermod as a possible problem. Having no physical separation between transmit antenna is asking for it. Intermod is predictable by simple math formulas, so any intermod program should help. With that many frequencies in use, the predicted hits can be too numerous to deal with. I would put in just the IEM frequencies because the antennas are close together, and check for second order (2A-B and A + B -C) products. It might be worth talking with Shure to see what they suggest and whether they sell antenna combiners.

How many IEM transmitters are there?
Number of receivers is moot, it's ultimately the number of active frequencies that are the problem.

Unless you have some really wierd Shure IEMs, they will be PSMs and are in WWB. You may need to run an update to add them in if you have an older copy of WWB5.

Wireless Workbench, if you know what you are doing, is perfectly capable of coordinating frequencies across any manufacturer. The process is simpler in WWB6 which is still in beta, but it's perfectly doable in WWB5 too.

Shure do make combiners - eg. the PA821 8 channel version. They are a good piece of gear and I have frequently seen them using with other brands of IEM Tx feeding them.
They are however not the cheapest piece of gear around.
You may be better off with 2 PA421s and using 2 transmission antennas with some space between them.

Get the beta of WWB6 once your firmware is up to date. It's really impressive software, and a lot more intuitive than WWB5. In both programs you can input non Shure devices and it will find frequencies for them as well.

Chris15: We have seven frequencies. Sorry I didn't make that very clear.

Thanks everyone for the useful info. I have some good ideas now. Hopefully next week I'll have time to run some frequencies for intermod hits.

Laryn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back