Mixers/Consoles Working on old country club and trying to figure out sound

Connor Denny

Recently I have started work on an old country club's ballroom, one where Frank Sinatra has played and Al Capone hung out, and I have been trying to figure out how the sound works. It looks as though there was a board hooked up but they took it with because there are a bunch of xlr connections poking through a desk. The tech instructor at my school said he would sell me a board if I needed one for this job so I was wondering if I should take him up on that. Pictures included. Also just for fun, some pictures of the hell hole of lighting problems and the main floor
1507388904052-1256293576.jpg
1507388480963-1789108675.jpg
1507388620402-161156573.jpg
1507388646384-350880237.jpg
1507388677941-1836670106.jpg

I can only see two XLR male ends in that photo of the booth ... seems like two mic input hookups that would be coming from the stage area. I can also see a couple of small monitor type speakers hanging in the middle of the room.

None of this looks vintage to me, so if it were me I would start from scratch in setting up a sound system.

Only thing vintage is the fact that the Playmate system will works.

The place definitely needs some TLC.

If you plan on going into audio you should always travel with a pocket mixer.

I can only see two XLR male ends in that photo of the booth ... seems like two mic input hookups that would be coming from the stage area. I can also see a couple of small monitor type speakers hanging in the middle of the room.

None of this looks vintage to me, so if it were me I would start from scratch in setting up a sound system.

There are 2 more xlrs I forgot to picture. I think I might be redoing all the sound with my dad. As far as lights go, it's a rats nest

Wow, Bushwood has really gone downhill since Carl got fired.

#GungaGalunga

As far as sound, my thinking is that there would have been a very minimalist sound system. Back then the band would have mixed themselves, perhaps a vocal mic or two would have been all that was used.
As far as the lighting, what DO all those unsafe switches do? How are they wired in and to what?
The ElectroControls playmate was I believe 0-10 volt control, so there would be some expense trying to use a modern control board.
I tried to find more info on the Playmate but all I could find was this from the 1977 American Stage Lighting Catalog (thanks again to @JonCarter ).
PlaymateDimmer.PNG

Just for giggles, in 1977 the price for the Playmate 6 x 2400 watt dimmer pack was $ 1665.
I am curious about what control cable plugs and sockets ElectroControls was using then. At that time Electronics Diversified was using Cinch-Jones which wasn't locking.

I'm not familiar enough to comment, but the first photo's top right cable has me needing to ask the question...
Is that the old jute they used in cable making way back when or is it likely to be asbestos, given the era of this system?

The EC Playmate system ...
Finally, a Hugh Hefner tribute thread.:oops:

...I am curious about what control cable plugs and sockets ElectroControls was using then.
Both ends of three control cables are visible in the photos. Looks to be an Elco type equivalent. Curious such a large plug when all it needs is seven contacts. But it is locking.

I'm not familiar enough to comment, but the first photo's top right cable has me needing to ask the question...
Is that the old jute they used in cable making way back when or is it likely to be asbestos, given the era of this system?
I see nothing in the photos resembling either asbestos or jute. At the top of photo#1, looks to be a piece of Romex strung horizontally.

Electro-Controls typically used 56-pin rectangular Elco connectors with pretty substantial locking screws for their control cables, but they inserted only the number of gold-plated contacts necessary for the desired functionality (up to 12 in this case). The EC standard analog control voltage was 15.6 volts. I actually have a copy of the operation and very thorough maintenance manual for the Playmate (I know, what a surprise!). The control cables provide operating voltages to the console from a beefy power supply in the dimmer pack as well as return the 15.6 volt control signals from the console to the dimmers. Usually the only thing to go south are the slide pots or less frequently the dimmer firing cards. Each Playmate dimmer pack contained six 2400 or 3600 watt dimmer modules. Each module had the PC-171 firing card, TRIAC, and choke mounted on a U-shaped aluminum chassis and was self-contained, requiring only 120vac input and 15.6vdc control signal.

In later years, EC came out with a Playmate product that was their answer to the Strand CD-80 portable packs (picture below). It used their proprietary ECmux digital protocol and was apparently popular enough for Johnson Systems to offer a retrofit control card to update the electronics and adapt to DMX like they do for the CD-80.
playmate.jpg

Probably a lot more than you really wanted to know.

Never to much information. That's pretty cool.

Also to soon Derek too soon lol.

Elco's were pretty good connectors for static situations. Not too roadworthy. The gray ones cold take some abuse, but the green ones (pictured) were like a brittle Bakelite. Pins were gold (8k, I believe.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back