Wysiwyg vs VectorWorks vs ESP Vision

McCready00

I was just wondering what people were mostly using. I'm a Wyg guy, although I would like to know what are negative/positive points of other software.

Thanks

I think a lot of it comes down to what you really want to do with it...

WYG is really good at doing pre-vis, but doesn't have great plotting/paperwork.
VW is great if you're mainly just doing plots, and then exporting it to LW. (Although now you can export your plots to MA3D, which is pretty nice)
I guess I don't personally see Vision being used, so I am agnostic on it.

I think that WYG also has a much larger acceptance when you get into touring and concerts and the like, when you'll see VW (and occasionally AutoCAD) a lot more in theatres. I've never seen a WYG plot for a theatrical type show, while I see a lot of the VW ones. Doesn't mean it hasn't been done or that it can't be done, just that I've never seen it myself.

WYSIWYG has priced itself out of even the medium theater market.

I see more folks going VW+ either or both Capture & LW depending on the work they do.

I use Vectorworks daily for lighting and scenic. I also have WYG and AutoCAD and believe they are great software but I personally have better workflow with VW. My go to software package is VW & LW & Capture. That being said, it is only as useful as the user makes it. So use what works for you. For the most part, PDF's are sufficient unless you work with a large team and need to collaborate.

See this thread here:

http://www.controlbooth.com/threads/software-wysiwyg.37581/

Do a search on this site as well for the assorted software.

I use Vectorworks and Lightwright for lighting. I don't pre-viz, if I did would probably use either Capture or ESP Vision.

I had a version of WYSIWYG with my ETC Emphasis system, found it clunky to use and learn. As well about every plot I see, excepting European designers (using WYG) are in a VW format. For LD's it syncs very well with LW so becomes a pricey but necessary tool set. The LW/VW system as well does a decent import of data to the ETC Nomad software as well, so yet another tool that saves time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back