• X-Spot HO 4:1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • X-Spot HO 2:1 Extreme

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Studio Spot 575 CMY Zoom

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
Hello!

I'm looking for some opinions for which is preferred: X-Spot HO 4:1 versus Studio Spot 575 CMY Zoom.
I am buying these from the used market and would like to know which would be a better option.
I also have the option to upgrade the X-Spot to the 2:1 Extreme for $250 each.

Let me have it...
Thank you!

"Preferred" for what intended use? Can you afford the 38 channel DMX footprint of the x.Spot? The increased size and weight? The ability to do a three-gobo morph? The superior CMY color mixing? FWIW, the SS575 CMYZ is/was much more popular.

"Preferred" for what intended use? Can you afford the 38 channel DMX footprint of the x.Spot? The increased size and weight? The ability to do a three-gobo morph? The superior CMY color mixing? FWIW, the SS575 CMYZ is/was much more popular.

It's use would be for touring bands/clubs. 38 channel is okay. size and weight are okay. the three-gobo morph is one of the features I liked about the X, but not a must-have. Superior coloring mixing is an added bonus, yes.

I'm still undecided.

Can't speak for the X-Spot. I've used 6 SS CMY/Zooms for 6 years, rep hang so they rarely moved, mostly flash and trash.

They are quiet, no fans. We found them very reliable in moderate use. I think I had one tilt motor replaced, ran me about $350 or so including labor. They mostly did what I needed just couldn't punch thru the conventional washes of 750w S4's.

The color mixing was never great, and awful in the tints. I could get good saturated colors in Yellow, Red, Pink, Purple, Blue and Green all out of the CMY and the snap movement was pretty good. 2 rotating wheels was nice just nothing fancy like a prism or color correction. Pretty basic units and OK for it's time, but they ARE dated units, probably 15 years old in design.

Find out if there's a profile in the console you intend to use. The profile ETC provided in the Eos/Ion series was/is incorrect as it was configured for a no zoom unit and thus mixes color oddly.

Never worked with the CMY Zoom, but I'd take the x.Spot over the classic Studio Spot any day. 2:1 vs. 4:1 x.Spot is a toss up. If you're working in a small space, the wider angle on the 4:1 is nice, but the 2:1 is much brighter(though part of this could be that the 2:1s I work with are about 5 years younger than the 4:1s I work with).

Find out if there's a profile in the console you intend to use. The profile ETC provided in the Eos/Ion series was/is incorrect as it was configured for a no zoom unit and thus mixes color oddly.

I've never had an issue with the Eos profile for the x.Spot(from 1.9.5 onward is where my experience has been)

Xspots can get temperamental especially as they get older. Earlier xspots had some design issues regarding the yolks and yolk covers. They do have upgrade kits but it does require disassembling the entire fixture. The studio spots are a much more reliable fixture but for theatrical use I would prefer the xspot, for concert I prefer te studio spot. Most common thing to go out in the xspot is the mps (motor power supply) usually caused by poor power or people running them on dimmers. It's not hard to change (about 10 min) and can do it in the air. They do occasionally go out in the studio spots as well also take about 10 min but you do have to bring the fixture down. They both take identical gobos. The 2:1 x spots are brighter but if you are using them as cyc specials 4:1 is almost always a must. I would always keep a mix in stock depending on the application. Everyone of ours had the extreme upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back