XLR Jacks

Get over it. Everyone uses metallic XLRs in the real world. It might be the rare occasion for a corporate event that black connectors get used with black mics.

The pope got a white mic with a black windsock and black clip...

Out of everything I obsess over this has never bothered me. Just be happy cables are black now (usually) and not gray or brown!

The color of the XLR end is usually the least of my worries, you should see some of the wind screens that I have ex. bright blue, green, yellow. Plus for one offs that have multiple mics on stage I usually put colored spike tape around the XLR end so that I can tell which mic a performer has. However if Im doing theatre and the mic is in view of the audience then ill use an XLR with a black end.

The real reason for a black windsock likely has more to do with the number of companies in the world who make them in white.

Last I heard Windtech in the states were the only ones known and rumour has it they were on factory holiday at the time it was needed...

Most of our XLRs are black, but matching the mic was never a concern for me.

Of course, all of our wireless mics have a large band of colored electrical tape wrapped around them, so we can tell from the mix position which is which. Aesthetics isn't a big concern here, functionality is.

Last edited:
...Just be happy cables are black now (usually) and not gray or brown!
Ever done The Taffetas (a great revue/musical)? YouTube video. It is de rigeur that the mic cables match the girls' dresses (pink, yellow (sometimes green), blue, and lavender).

You kids today.:angryoldman: There was a time, not so long ago, when all XLRs were silver and all mic stands were chrome!

Do you hate all these xlr jacks that dont match the colour of the microphone like this:
http://www.mveducation.com/assets/products/65685_l.jpg

It looks terrible and the audience must think we cant even afford to get cables that match the microphones.
:evil::evil::evil:

That looks the tried and true Switchcraft connector, and no, I don't hate it. If your audience is thinking that the connector doesn't match the mic, then the show must be really boring!

Oh, and by the way, your "first rule of theatre" (in your sig) is actually Murphy's Law...

I usually use black connectors...but only because I usually use Neutrik connectors which by default come in Black. If I were to use Switchcraft connectors I would use chrome connectors. Honestly the audience doesn't give a flying c*** about the color of your connectors, you're just paranoid.

Eh, they don't really cost all that much more IF they do cost more at all, at least not when you buy a lot of them all at once, especially if you get them from someone like High Output with a big order, I've had them throw in a few for free or at severely reduced cost. :)

Ether way...Black or Silver they are both good, and the audience wont notice. Unless your production is so boring that people start staring at the mic connectors instead of the actors...at which point I think connectors are the LEAST of your worries.

Last edited:
My numbers put a bulk pack of NC3FXX at $822, black at $879 and black with gold contacts at $1009... So it's 7 percent extra...

I am sorry to state the obvious, but the normal audience, unless the performance/ show is extremely dull, is not....ummm.....smart enough to worry about XLR/ mic coordination. I am not saying that they are complete idiots, but that they are untrained to the technical side of performances.

How many in a bulk pack, Chris? Are those prices in US or AUS?

that seems insanely expensive for those connectors. Or is that list price before any discounts?

Recommended Retail Price. Yes mostly one gets it for a sum less.

But things generally seem to be more here than you guys pay, you gotta ship it. :twisted:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back