Control/Dimming XLR Relay Box

Bubby4j

I have this problem - when my DMX to NSI Multiplex converter box is receiving no DMX signal, it will tend to turn lights on by itself. If the converter turned off when I turned off the power to the control booth it wouldn't be a problem, but the converter is powered by the multiplex cable itself, receiving power from the microplex dimmer packs.

So, I need a small box, which has 1 XLR input and 1 XLR output. Plus, 1 power input. In this way, relays inside of it would connect the XLR cables together only when the unit was receiving power (we turn the power off to the booth when it's not in use).

Is there such a "XLR relay"? Really, it sounds really simple to build myself. But I wanted to check if something like this already existed first.

Another option would be a box which would output an all 0s DMX signal when it wasn't receiving a DMX signal already, but I'd imagine that might be more expensive than a relay box.

Are lights coming on as you turn power off to the booth or at other random times later? If the former, it sounds like a case of DMX Death Gasp, where some controllers output "junk" data as they loose power. The solution is simply unplug the XLR line to the dimmers before you turn off the controller. If the latter, I would expect the relay box to not work they way you want.

Are lights coming on as you turn power off to the booth or at other random times later? If the former, it sounds like a case of DMX Death Gasp, where some controllers output "junk" data as they loose power. The solution is simply unplug the XLR line to the dimmers before you turn off the controller. If the latter, I would expect the relay box to not work they way you want.
Generally it's at a random time later. Sometimes a day or two. I'm guessing it's some kind of electrical noise messing with it. Microplex is analog.

Even if it is the DMX death gasp, this would fix it as when I unplug the NSI converter all the lights go dark. The dimmers are set to turn off if no signal is applied.

You may be over thinking it with relays. Try just a single SPST switch on the +15v line, I think it's pin 2.
My idea with a relay is so that no one needs to mess with "enabling" the microplex line. A relay powered by a wall wart would be 100% hassle free.
I do like the idea of only needing a single relay to turn off the power though. I bet that just might do it.

OR, I just had an idea. If pin 2 never carries in data, then I could simply build a cable without pin 2 connected. Then I could use the power adapter to power the DMX to MPX converter. I think that might work! Would definitely be cheaper than building a bulky box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back