Altman 902 Question

Hello,
The costume designer and I recently found an Altman 902 (was missing) under a pile of costumes in a shed out back. Nobody knows why it was there. I can confirm that it works, but before I clean the innards (lots of dust) I would like to confirm that the high temperature wire inside is not asbestos coated. It looks more woven than pictures of asbestos coated wire I have seen, however I would like a second (or more) oppinion before I begin cleanup.
Thanks!
OMTC
FullSizeRender.jpg

Sorry to say, that is asbestos. As to if it poses a risk, that is up to debate as it is internal. Asbestos whip cables are the most dangerous as they are flexed a lot and start breaking down. Asbestos is still used in some furnace/heating applications, but has been pretty much eliminated in the stage lighting industry where there are better choices. Cleaning the reflector and lenses is one thing, but if you were planning to take an air blower or vacuum to it, don't! Some theaters have an absolute policy regarding asbestos. Like smoking, you want to avoid it whenever possible as the cancer it causes in some people can be fatal.

I wouldn't blow it out but replace the innards with new wires.

The 902 typically uses a 1500 watt DTA lamp. At a MINIMUM I would rewire with 14 gauge high-temp rated wire (these days that's usually teflon), 12 gauge would be better. Also, I would replace the main power cable with new a new 12 gauge SOOW cable NO longer than about 15'.

Definate debate about what to do with the asbestos shown, but otherwise and also this isn't just a plug and play type of thing to start using again or "home owner" type restoration project.

DTJ lamp is discontinued by GE, probably Phillips and while still listed as available by Ushio, it will become special order or discontinued soon I think. Fuji might still make it also but not a lamp overall one can depend on getting replacements on for long. Ushio part [HASHTAG]#1000221[/HASHTAG] it is seemingly still made. http://www.ushio.com/files/catalog/PAVENT19-24.pdf#search="dtj" Should be like $25 to $40.00 per lamp debendant on brand still made.

DTA lamp is also another 1.5Kw lamp long life version in a little less output

G.E. [HASHTAG]#30522[/HASHTAG]

Osram/Sylvania [HASHTAG]#54716[/HASHTAG]

Ushio [HASHTAG]#1000220[/HASHTAG]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I have not checked current availability of the DTA lamps.

A fixture that could be professionally "saved" and restored -but and any further use of it would require that. It would take a lot of wora k in fixing and replacing small parts, wiring, refining or replacing the socket and wiring etc. and than there is no real lamp viable with followspot output for this light which would make it still serviceable once these are discontinued. Sorry, but short of re-inventing the wheel on this light which would be very expensive, there is no viable option for making it a follospot again for the long term for a lamp or LED which would make it work. Again to restore it, like $600.00 at best and more likely a lot more in otherwise museum piece and no other work done. Would want to get in writing what was done to restore/preserve it so it doesn't start rusting thru, etc. and perhaps post what work will be done w/o the price so we don't do bidding wars... or with approximated price if seemingly way too high.

Museum piece for your theater's lobby in these lamps are not going to be on the market long? Might call around to local scene shops, lighting companies and theater suppliers + colleges to see how much it would cost to just remove the wiring and vaccume, than spray with Windex and wipe residuein the fixture so its' safe for display. Suspect it would cost like $600.00, but hope that would also include oiling/tapping rusting screws etc. in preserving the light for storage/display. Bulk of that price in official asbestos removal costs.

A shame if this found followspot goes to trash, be nice if preserved but I think cost to restore it is well on the way to a new followspot for the theater if that's the need. Bag the light and put it away with noting what's in it and what it needs. Put it into storage with cautions otherwise to save up for a future generation to restore I think the best option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back