Any idea how they created this?

Daffey

YouTube - Eugeni Onegin, Duel

Hi,

Looking for some help. Any ideas on how they created the blood pooling effect from the opera scene in Talented Mr Ripley? It looks like some sort of cloth thing but anyone know for sure the type of cloth or have any suggestions on the cloths and techniques to doing it?

Thanks in advance. :)

It would appear to cloth, as you said. It's hard to gauge from the youtube clip, but it might be felt, or cotton. Based on the points of tension in the fabric piano wire or some other very thin twine seems likely, the cloth starting out hidden beneath the snow and then pulled from under the actor's body towards holes in the stage through which the strings are run.

Or, you know, CGI.

I doubt that it was cgi, but it is probably a silk. Basically the same kind of thing that a magician pulls out of a false finger but on a larger scale. I would have had it pulled by monofilament wire (like fishing line) built into the set.

If you watch the "snow" disappears into the "blood" If the effect was done with fabric the "snow" would all sit on top of the fabric and move as it is pulled out, although the points do make it look like they are pulling a silk out. I would vote on CGI... or that they were pumping a fluid into a formed tray on the stage.

If you watch the "snow" disappears into the "blood" If the effect was done with fabric the "snow" would all sit on top of the fabric and move as it is pulled out, although the points do make it look like they are pulling a silk out. I would vote on CGI... or that they were pumping a fluid into a formed tray on the stage.

If YOU look, the snow travels with the blood. This is done with a red silk and drawstring. The snow helps to hide the string as it is pulled out of a trap below the actor.

I doubt that it was cgi, but it is probably a silk. Basically the same kind of thing that a magician pulls out of a false finger but on a larger scale. I would have had it pulled by monofilament wire (like fishing line) built into the set.

But... but... but... I thought he really pulled the handkerchief out of his finger!

I think that it's probably felt, I used brown silk once in a show (Willy Wonka) as a chocolate river, you could see through it a bit too well :S Felt wouldn't be as transparent, and this clearly wasn't. I also agree, there was some sort of piano wire or something similar used to pull it as the edges of the "blood" was the static.

I would think that felt would be too rigid. What about a heavy weight satin if the silk is too transparent.

We were staging Eugene Onegin in college about the same time as that movie came out. I remember leaving the movie theatre and immediately calling the Stage manager saying, "Whatever happens, Do not let the director see this movie until we open."

As I remember we did the duel scene with an irised in moving light in red and had it zoom out slowly to recreate the blood. It would have been great to use the silk fabric though, but by the time we saw it we were in dress rehearsals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back