Avolites Pearl to Hog 500

bishopthomas

So, my partner sold the Pearl in order to fund another purchase and now I need to replace it. I can't afford another Pearl, but I can afford the Hog500. I am only familiar with the Pearl, being fairly new to lighting (I'm a sound guy, don't hurt me), and am weary about starting over on a new controller. At the same time, though, it will give me a chance to learn something new, and I think that if I know how to use both a Pearl and a Hog then I'm in a good spot for walk in jobs or freelance LD work.

So, my question is, what's the learning curve on a Hog 500? I have heard that Hogs are harder to program than Avolites, but worth it in the end. If I get the console on Thursday could I use it on Friday for a small accent lighting gig with 4 MAC250's and 6-8 LED's if I read the manual several times before then? Is there an offline editor that I could use to get familiar with the console? I like the Pearl Simulator as it is exactly the console on my computer screen; anything like that for the Hog500?

I am typically using 24-40 channels of dimmers, several (4-6) MAC250's, and about a dozen 28-channel LED bars, but would need to be able to expand to maybe 60 dimmers and 12-14 MAC250's for larger shows (if my bid is accepted this is what I'll have on an outdoor gig next month). I am 100% busking, no hitting the "Go" button on concert gigs, so it needs to be at least as good as the Avo at this type of situation. What do you think? It's half the price of a used Pearl, and I don't think there's anything else in this price range suitable for this type of work, but correct me if I'm wrong. Please don't recommend software solutions, though. I have a cheap PC controller and to get what I want out of a higher end system I would need programming/playback wings. In that case I would just buy the new Pearl or a Tiger Touch.

Thanks!

Having been trained, by High End Systems, on the HogII (family) first, I've just never been able to make friends with the Pearl. I've tried half-heartedly a couple of times, but never with a gun to my head.

There is an OLE, but as it's a simulation of the WholehogII, the buttons are all in the wrong places for the Hog500. My biggest concern about using any of the HogII family today is that the ROM fixture library stopped being updated two or more years ago, so fixture profiles newer than that will need to be found/built. Before the gig, you need to make sure you have all the correct files you need to drive the fixtures you're using. (But then, this is true of any console.)

The WholehogII OLE on FPS's site: Hog 2PC V3.4.3.160 (June 25, 2008). Console software can be found at the same site, Flying Pig Systems - Wholehog 2 Downloads .

... If I get the console on Thursday could I use it on Friday for a small accent lighting gig with 4 MAC250's and 6-8 LED's if I read the manual several times before then? ...
Entirely depends on how willing you are to let go of your Pearl experience and embrace the Hog lifestyle. But I would think you could handle a show like that. We're not talking this Thursday/Friday, are we? I would think at least a week with the manual and OLE first would be needed.

My biggest concern about using any of the HogII family today is that the ROM fixture library stopped being updated two or more years ago, so fixture profiles newer than that will need to be found/built.

Then just load them onto the console via a floppy? The Avo site has a huge database of personalities, I'll have to check the Jands site to see if I can find the same.

Entirely depends on how willing you are to let go of your Pearl experience and embrace the Hog lifestyle.

That different, huh?

But I would think you could handle a show like that. We're not talking this Thursday/Friday, are we? I would think at least a week with the manual and OLE first would be needed.

Yes, we're talking I would have it overnighted by tomorrow, get it on Thursday, use it on Friday. I could probably spend a couple of hours with it on Thursday night (with fixtures attached), but after that it's show time. So maybe I'll plan on using the (severely limited) PC solution for these gigs and try to get more practice time in before taking it live. Or perhaps use the computer for the ML's and Hog500 for single- or three-channel LED's.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links. I'm sure they'll save me a ton of time searching, which I'll need if I'm going to learn this console in a night. I learned the Pearl in one night, though, at least enough to do a show with it, so I'm hoping the Hog will be as intuitive. I'm half way through my read through of the manual, so hopefully by the time I get the console I'll at least be able to patch the fixtures and maybe even lamp them on.

I cut my teeth on the HogII series. Then I learned the 500 and 1000 in college (along with the Status Cue).

I picked up the Pearl in a day when I went to work at a place that used all Avo consoles.

But I also picked up the GrandMA in 2 or 3 days.

Being fluid in all three (five if you count the major conventional boards) syntax, I feel that going from the Pearl to the Hog would be the most natural transition.

The thing to watch for the most is need several keys on the Hog to do things that take 1 key on the Avo. So you will probably spend some time looking around going "where is the _________" key. The hardest transition is from any of them to the MA.

My advice would be to learn the Hog on its own, don't try to translate your Avo knowledge. Much like learning a foreign language you have to learn to speak in that language and not translate.

Mike

Great advice, Mike. That's kind of what I have heard about the difference in programming an Avo vs. a Hog. The Avo is easier to program, but once the Hog is programmed it's easier to control and busk on. There were a few things with the Avo I didn't like (maybe I just didn't learn it well enough) and maybe I will get the Hog and realize what I've been missing. Now if this guy would return my phone call then I should have a long night ahead of me on Thursday (into Friday)...

Well, I just got a message back from the seller saying that it has been sold. If anyone sees a Hog 500 for sale (this one was $3350, so in that price range would be nice) please let me know. In the meantime I guess it's back to the computer/rentals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back