Control/Dimming BootCamp

express

Hi...
So, does anyone run Bootcamp on their Mac? I'm asking because I need to run Hog3PC (it's either that or an Express... and with movers and LED's, Ill go with the PC). I'm wondering because I can either run it on my Mac in Bootcamp... Or go find/buy an actual Windows computer. And I'm just looking for opinions.

Thanks,
Ben Fallon

If you are going to be running Windows on your computer for an actual show I would recommend Boot Camp, virtualization has a lot more to fail, and is not as fast as Boot Camp. If you want to just do some programming though, virtualization would be fine, but if you are in a show, Boot Camp is the way to go.

I would say try Boot Camp before you go and buy another computer, after all Boot Camp is basically Windows computer trapped inside something that has an Apple logo on it.

Bootcamp works perfectly, and other than some tweaking you'll need to do on the two-finger scrolling speed, makes it just like a high-end windows laptop. Of course, you'll need the windows license and some spare space on your hard drive.

Or you could use Virtual Box. Works well, and is free. When I had a Mac, this is what I used to run Windows XP.

I downloaded it, but it booted with the error: NO MEDIUM TO BOOT TO.

I'll have to try something else...

I downloaded it, but it booted with the error: NO MEDIUM TO BOOT TO.

I'll have to try something else...

Never used virtualbox, but does it pre-install the OS? If not, you'll have to mess around mounting the computer's DVD drive to the VM, then pointing the BIOS to boot from it.

No, VirtualBox does not install any OS. you must provide the installation media for your flavour of OS. It is a free virtualization software similar to VMWare or Parallels, just not as featurefull.

CPF, there is a Wizard that will install the OS for you, that doesnt require remounting anything or changing any settings on the Host PC.

I use bootcamp on my Macbook for almost everything lighting related. Do not use HogPC in a Virtualization system, in my experience it makes the Virtualization very unstable, and I could never get the network interface to work with Hognet Properly.

Yup, it works great. Once you get everything installed (including the boot camp drivers) you can treat it as if it were any other PC. I've run MAonPC on my MacBook Pro with no problems, although it started to get a bit sluggish once i started running MA3D at the same time...

I downloaded it, but it booted with the error: NO MEDIUM TO BOOT TO

Never used virtualbox, but does it pre-install the OS? If not, you'll have to mess around mounting the computer's DVD drive to the VM, then pointing the BIOS to boot from it.

cpf is right, you must have the OS. Virtualbox is only intended to virtualize an OS that you own.

All you do is point it to an .iso file.

While i love virtual box I wouldn't use i for show control it just seems like a bad idea to me but for just messing around in OSes other than your primary one its great and its easy to transfer files between the two by simply sharing a folder. I used it for school to run an antiquated Spanish program that didn't support vista, but supported xp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back