Booth Lighting

I used to use an LED strip, but it fell off of the ceiling.

If that worked well for you, I've found using 3M double sided tape was significantly better than the adhesive on the back of the LED strip.

I met a designer once who blew my mind with suggesting using a saturated amber for tech table/booth lights. The ideology actually comes from the military who use navigation lights typically in a red or even green. Though green can prove to be problematic for obvious reasons. Amber lets you run at a lower intensity and you can actually see the paper easier. Even though blue is a natural spectrum color that our eyes can see, it takes a higher output for your eyes to not strain.

We use track lighting in our booth on a standard dimmer for "show" mode and LED floods for work light.

Greetings! I cannot figure out the best way to light our booth during performances. I used to use an LED strip, but it fell off of the ceiling. I need enough light for the light board op, sound board op, and stage manager to see with, but not enough to where the audience can see any glare. Here is a photo of the booth so anyone interested can see what I mean:View attachment 14444
Hello! I'll point you at this older thread which ought to cover everything you want to know and then some so long as you've got an hour to invest in reading it.
https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/foh-booth.41115/#post-355272
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Has anyone tried the Source4 Mini (perhaps the canopy mount ones) as down lights in the booth. I would think they would be great in that application. The ability to use the framing shutters to light just the work area where light is needed, it can be easily gelled to taste, and can be cheaply dimmed with a quality wall dimmer.

I built a downlight out of a piece of 3528 LED tape in a piece of 1/2" aluminum C-channel. I used its backing tape to hold it in, and then a couple of small balls of gaff at each end and the middle, held in by a couple wraps of 1". I mount it in one booth using shower-curtain pole brackets (it was trimmed to fit precisely between the steel) and in a couple other booths using 15 feet of black jack chain hooked up and wrapped around it.

I have a 12V dimmer and a 2A adapter to power it, and it works out very nicely.

I did have to snoot the audience side of it with some 2" and I would build it in black-anodized if I did it again, or deeper channel; it glares the actors a tiny bit if I don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back