Control/Dimming CD80 Data Passthrough

Indeed the small XLR connectors are for AMX-192. If you have the "digital" card I know about, it has both full size 5 pin I/O for DMX and full size 4 pin I/O for AMX-192(even Strand eventually wised up about that hateful TY-4 connector). I'm fairly certain though, that the "digital" card will only pass through what you send it; it won't "translate" from/to either protocol.

Johnson Systems Inc. DPC-12 (in your home country), but a DMX-to-AMX protocol converter would be less expensive. If you have an AE card not being used, try it in the Classic/Original pack, and let us know what happens. Maybe Strand experts Darthrob13, rschwimmer, phenry, dimmerdotcom, lekobird, et al will chime in.

Last edited:
Any controller from any vintage should fit right in, whether the old AMX-96 models (the ones with the mini TA4 connectors that labelled "Dim 1" and "Dim 2", etc.), the digital pack controllers from Strand (DMX and AMX-192 on XLR's) or any of the Johnson System retrofit variants (CD-PACKs, PT-PACKs, DPC-12s).

If you are using the JSI retrofits, disable the DMX termination if they are not end of line on your DMX run. IF you get a controller that acts funny, sometimes they do not seat well because the bracket has slightly bent back over the years where the controller sits. Either "yang" it forward or insert washers on the mounting screws to bring the rear conenctors on the pack forward by a hair.

The hardware seating the edge connector receptacles in the pack is always worthy of attention. Even slight looseness can cause misalignment.

The pack controllers are interchangeable between generations. Strand still sells new pack controllers. Any local dealer shoudl be able to get one for you. If you have any trouble, let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back