Control/Dimming CD80SV Power Module Retrofit

Re: CD80 Non-Dim

Thanks Calc, that clears up what I was seeing in the data sheets.

jhochb I know that I can, and have the knowledge, to easily mod the current dimmers. However like you said, I do not want the liability either. I would much rather have the part that was specifically designed to do the job for something as critical as a dimmer rack.

Anyone know where I can purchase one of these? I've checked out all of the used gear sites that I know of... solarisnetwork.com usedlighting.com gearsource.com even Ebay. Strand's website was not a help. Thanks!

Re: CD80 Non-Dim

I'm not very familiar with Strand gear but as far as I know it is not an SV rack. It looks like the processor has been upgraded at some point, but everything else looks original to the build of the venue ~1988. I attached a photo for reference.

proxy.php

I am working in a venue right now that has a Strand CD-80 with AE rack from 1992.

I am wondering if anyone out there can explain how Strand made their "non-dim" modules for the CD-80s?

The particular rack I am working with has 2 non-dim modules for Metal Halide house lights (for lectures, cleaning, etc). I was looking at the modules today and they appear to have a nearly identical wiring configuration inside the pack (minus the choke). There seems to be an SSR that has an additional small circuit board jumpered across the supply and neutral terminals for the control circuit.

The reason I am asking this question is because I need to get full-voltage power for some gobo rotators to a spot where there is no power close by, BUT I have spare stage circuits at that location.

I have a couple of spare working CD-80 modules and a couple of dead ones on hand. The simplest thing to do would be to completely remove the guts (keeping the 20 Amp breaker in the circuit, of course) from the bad side of one of the spare modules and simply use it as an "always hot" circuit. The only mildly annoying issue with this is that I will need to turn that breaker on at the beginning of the night and off at the end of the night.

Did CD-80 non-dim packs use a different kind of SSR than their dimmer packs? How did the control circuitry operate?

So…hypothetically speaking….

If the said rack has a posted SCCR rating of 10,000 A.

AND there were already 4 non-dim modules in the rack which the preceded the 2005 NEC code issues that have no chokes OR fuses…..

What cartridge fuse might be appropriate for a hypothetical module that COULD be converted to a through-current module and still comply with current NEC codes for SCCR?

After a bit of hands-on investigation today in the electrical shop at a local regional theatre company, I have learned that ETC uses a 60-amp, 480 volt, class G cartridge fuse for SCCR protection in their non-dim & constant power Sensor series modules.

I am concerned that such conversation could intimate that CB condones modification of power handling products. Technically, knowing what parts one supplier uses to solve problems might not indeed solve the same problems in other manufacturer's products and likely is not a complete list of the parts needed based on properly engineered solutions. Personally, I suggest we close this discussion with a caution, again, that any such or similar modification to dimmer modules, or other power handling products, should not be undertaken unless persons are willing to take on liability for risk of fire or other damage with equipment and/or persons.

David

Having seen all of the hand-slapping going on surrounding this issue, I shall remain silent in the future.

It sounds like it would best of all of my posts on this thread were deleted as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back