Clamping Intellabeam to Tripod Speaker Stand

Bubby4j

I found a couple of speaker stands in one of the closets at my church, and was wondering if it'd be alright to attach an Intellabeam 700HX to it with a clamp (65lb moving-mirror fixture).
The stand looks exactly like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QG4WE4/?tag=controlbooth-20

The stand would be vertical (duh), so the light would be mounted vertically, ideally with the mirror part highest up.

Would this be safe? It wouldn't be over anyone's head or really near anybody, mainly just using it to get the light a couple feet into the air, much better than leaning it on a wall. What kind of clamp would I need to use? I'd imagine a clamp that wraps around the entire pipe, instead of just a C-Clamp that would just screw onto the pipe, would be much sturdier.

I would not recommend it, especially with any cheap(ish) speaker stands. It seems like most speaker stands are made of pretty thin metal tubing, and the only Intellabeam I've used was *quite* hefty. I would worry it would be quite tippy and *incredibly* top-heavy, even with a half-dozen sand bags on the speaker stand base.

Is this a matter of cost? It would be much safer to stick a short piece of schedule 40 pipe on a lighting boom base and attach the light to that pipe.

It could work if you do it right, I've seen it done with Goldenscans and done it myself with the admittedly lighter Trackspot. You would need to use the right clamp, a regular c-clamp is a bad idea. Use a clamp like the Mega Claw. Build up the the stands pipe with what we used to call a truss condom. Take a 2-3 inch piece of 1.5" id pvc and cut 25% of it away. Snap it over the pipe and place the mega clamp over it and tighten. The light HAS to be between two legs and can't be very high. You will have to test this since my knowledge is with different fixtures. But your unknown is how much weight your stands can hold and how wide the legs go. The other way of a 50 lb base and schedule 40 works also but you have the same issue of weight and center of gravity. Either way sandbags may be needed.

The best advice is try it and see if YOU are comfortable with the safety of it. Where are you placing it? is it somewhere where no one will be near it? Are you using it in a wing at a dance show? I would try it and see how you feel, we here can spout advice but it is just our opinions, you need to feel comfortable with the end results. The risk factor here is the safety of a 20+ year old fixture.

The last thing I'll throw out is when these were all the rage a lot of people built cradles for these and other mirror fixtures out of wood or metal and stood them up. If you poke around you might find more info and ideas.

Yeah, I was mainly looking for rough opinions, I knew that of course I take all liability and it ain't y'alls fault if I follow bad advice :)

It is mainly a matter of cost (it's for my church, and the lights are personally my own). It is indeed fairly thin tubing, that's what I was worried about.

@Lextech It'd be at the back of a stage near a wall, no regular pedestrian traffic. Only band members, and they usually don't walk near where it'd be anyways because there's nothing behind the stage except storage, they exit off the front of the stage.

Thank you all for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back