These Ads will no longer appear once you have logged into ControlBooth.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Color temperature of kerosene flame

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by gafftapegreenia, Apr 17, 2011.

1. gafftapegreenia

gafftapegreenia CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

What is the Kelvin color temperature of a kerosene flame as it would be in a Dietz type cold blast lantern?

[​IMG]
  2. venuetech

venuetech Active Member

aud man
    It would be very similar to a common candle flame
  3. LXPlot

LXPlot Active Member

I found some specs of similar products listing at 3000-4500K/6000K, but I'm not sure how much that helps.
  4. chausman

chausman Chase

Can we ask why? and wait for derek to find the answer :)
  5. gafftapegreenia

gafftapegreenia CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Why, to simulate the feel of kerosene light of course. Can't go using real kerosene on stage now can we?
  6. meatpopsicle

meatpopsicle Active Member

I would think Kerosene flame would be warmer than 3000K. somewhere in the 2500-2700k range. and you might add a touch of red or ruddy orange. Perception is reality.
  7. JD

JD Well-Known Member

The color temp is only one factor in duplicating the flame. A bigger factor has to do with the distribution of light from the spectrum of the flame. There is a sharp blue cut-off in the flame.

For example, what is the color temperature of a red LED? There is none, as the LED only puts out a point spectrum.

Whenever a tight spectrum light source comes into play, duplicating it become an art more than a science. You will probably have to err on the side of amber to get the effect you want.

A better approach might be to use a high wattage lamp at a low dimmer setting. As the incandescence of the filament drops off, the spectrum not only shifts, it contracts in visible width, much like a flame.
  8. LXPlot

LXPlot Active Member

And you get a warmer feel that might help with a flame.
  9. shiben

shiben Well-Known Member

I would just say something warm. I like using 1k fresnels at low intensities for all kinds of flame effects. now, if its supposed to be flickering, you can drop in a filmFX reel or gobo rotators, and either drop an extremely light frost or run the lens tube to make it more of a flicker. this tends to work well for me
  10. CrazyTechie

CrazyTechie Member

From Google knol, bold is done by me.