Computer Controlled Lighting

How many pins does your round connector have? MPX uses a three pin XLR type connector, and can run on mic cable just fine. DMX should use a five pin XLR type connector and requires an RS485 data cable. The MC7024 is/was available either as MPX only, or with DMX, on a five pin connector, as an option. You will definitely want to identify what you have before you plug anything in.

Best,
John

Alright I don't know for sure, because it's pretty old but I believe it is NSI MC 7024 or something similar.

I don't know what a MPX connector is, but a quick google search shows that it has a box-ish type connector, ours are the round DMX type.

http://www.horsetrade.info/manuals/MC%207000%20Series%20(pdf)%5B1%5D.pdf

Page 3 seems to indicate that if the board is recieving power from the dimmers, that it is indeed fed by 3-pin MPX... Not 5-pin DMX.

The 'correct' way to hook that to a DMX outputting iterface would be through a convertor box... Such as Pathway's 'Ultimate Convertor'... Though I'm sure there's something out there more tailored to your sepcific MPX needs...

Last edited:
It still may be possible to change over to dmx, depending on what the dimmer(s) are. But you LIKELY can't use the same port on the dimmer that you're currently using. Just follow the cable over to it and look. If there is more than one input, it should be labeled DMX-512 or DMX-512A, or 0-10v, or something, if there is indeed another data input. Once you know what the data protocol for the dimmers is, we can advise what controllers (pc and/or hardware) will work, and whether the existing board can be used as well.

alright we have a 3 pin mpx board...it's a NSI MC7024. What do I do now to fix the problem??? Is computer controlled lighting still an option.

We still need the type of dimmers you are using and whether there is additional types of inputs. NSI also has an optional DMX port on some the boards. You need to check and see if you have one. If you have actual DMX inputs on the dimmers and outputs on the board then things are easier and cheaper. If you end up changing the MPX to DMX then you will then need a power cord for the board.
I know it seems like we aren't helping but we are trying to avoid you spending a ton of money and it still not work. Once we have all the pieces we'l give options.

Dimmer is a NSI DS 12. It has a 5 pin DMX output...I should be okay then right?

The NSI DS 12 indeed has a 5-Pin DMX Connector.

I assume you're currently using the MPX to connect the console to the dimming system, as your console is recieving power that way.

There may be some setting on the dimmer itself you need to change to recieve DMX instead of MPX... I am unsure.

Basically, if you connect in your USB->DMX Converter to the DMX Input of the Dimmer using a 5-Pin DMX Cable... Everything should be good.

If you need help, here's the manual: http://dmx2go.com/PDFs/DSseriesPM.pdf

The NSI DS 12 indeed has a 5-Pin DMX Connector.

I assume you're currently using the MPX to connect the console to the dimming system, as your console is recieving power that way.

There may be some setting on the dimmer itself you need to change to recieve DMX instead of MPX... I am unsure.

Basically, if you connect in your USB->DMX Converter to the DMX Input of the Dimmer using a 5-Pin DMX Cable... Everything should be good.

If you need help, here's the manual: http://dmx2go.com/PDFs/DSseriesPM.pdf

Won't he also need to use an alternate power cord directly from the board to power it in the absence of MPX?

Won't he also need to use an alternate power cord directly from the board to power it in the absence of MPX?

The whole issue here, is he wants to remove the board. Once you remove the console from the equation, the dimmers don't need to spit power anymore.

If I'm reading everything correctly, he's purchased an Entec OpenDMX Adapter, and wanted to control the dimmers with that.

One other thing: don't throw that NSI board away, especially if it has a dmx output. You may choose to use/upgrade your pc based controller to one that has a dmx in (it will have 2 dmx ports on it). If so, you can use the NSI board to control some channels or cues, but have the added power of the pc to do things such as run movers, etc. Depending on the software you choose, it may not be possible, but with some pc based dmx, it's definitely an option.

One other thing: don't throw that NSI board away, especially if it has a dmx output. You may choose to use/upgrade your pc based controller to one that has a dmx in (it will have 2 dmx ports on it). If so, you can use the NSI board to control some channels or cues, but have the added power of the pc to do things such as run movers, etc. Depending on the software you choose, it may not be possible, but with some pc based dmx, it's definitely an option.

That's what I thought he wanted to do when I mentioned the additional power cord for the board to replace the power feed from the MPX. If he is taking the board out of the equation then he only needs to worry about getting a new DMX feed from the computor to the dimmers.
Let us know how it works out for you when ou get it all wired. I have never used a computer based system but I understand some have a pretty steep learning curve.

If it's providing power to the console, it's not proper DMX...

Connecting your USB->DMX Device may well damage the USB Device, and possible the computer it's connected to as well.

That'll be why I implemented the E1.11-2008 higher protection level in my Enttec Pro compatible interface. Designed to survive just such mistreatment and recover once the over voltage condition is removed. That said it's always good to know what you're plugging together in the first place!

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back