Controlling laser through DMX in chamsys

Mads07

Hi guys, im new on the forum so hello to anyone reading this!

So my issue is that i have a DJ Lase g40 Mk III, a pretty basic laser with the only controls being through it's remote control, or via 8 dmx channels using a usb to DMX converter. So i tried controlling it through chamsys installed on my PC using the chamsys computer program. Im new to the software myself so I've tried self learning with videos and user manuals, my issue is I can't figure out how to control the 8 DMX channels in the program. When i patch in the laser it shows up as an already installed device in the library, and it creates 8 channels at universe 1, DMX channel 1-8. I just can't seem to find a tutorial on how to control them with the faders or virtual dimmers or anything, I don't know what I should use to control them with either. If anyone on here has had experience or could tell me what I should try I would really appreciate it! When i press "test channel" it turns on, and also when I press locate. But it doesn't work with the faders which makes sense since I didn't program it to, but I haven't figured out how.

Hi, when you select the unit (from the group window) and press locate, you should find control for it on your encoders inside either the position, colour or Beam window (opening these windows will put related position, colour or beam functions on your encoders). If you get stuck, send a copy of your show file to our support team ([email protected]) and they can take a look at th exact functions for you.

Hi guys, im new on the forum so hello to anyone reading this!

So my issue is that i have a DJ Lase g40 Mk III, a pretty basic laser with the only controls being through it's remote control, or via 8 dmx channels using a usb to DMX converter. So i tried controlling it through chamsys installed on my PC using the chamsys computer program. Im new to the software myself so I've tried self learning with videos and user manuals, my issue is I can't figure out how to control the 8 DMX channels in the program. When i patch in the laser it shows up as an already installed device in the library, and it creates 8 channels at universe 1, DMX channel 1-8. I just can't seem to find a tutorial on how to control them with the faders or virtual dimmers or anything, I don't know what I should use to control them with either. If anyone on here has had experience or could tell me what I should try I would really appreciate it! When i press "test channel" it turns on, and also when I press locate. But it doesn't work with the faders which makes sense since I didn't program it to, but I haven't figured out how.
Hi and welcome.
According to the manual it needs to have the first address needs to be @192-255 which is about 85% for the fixture to be in DMX mode. Then the 2nd chan is pattern at various levels. The other channels relate to rotation and zoom.
I am not too familiar with Chansys but I think you will find the controls will be via encoders.
Hope this helps a bit.
Regards
Geoff

I had been playing around with MagicQ a little while ago and, with a different fixture, I was able to test the output patched to the laser.
When i patch in the laser it shows up as an already installed device in the library, and it creates 8 channels at universe 1, DMX channel 1-8.
If you select the laser from the fixture library then it should show a button saying 'patch it'. After that it will ask for the number of fixtures you want to patch. After that the fixture should be patched and if you go to the simple console it will have 8 sliders with labels as to what they do. Moving the sliders changes the output and as was mentioned before the 'mode' slider should be at full.
remote control, or via 8 dmx channels using a usb to DMX converter
I used a 'open dmx' ftdi interface that I had and MagicQ found it by default and started using it for universe 1. This was on Win11. Can you confirm that the interface you are using is working for output?

Hi, when you select the unit (from the group window) and press locate, you should find control for it on your encoders inside either the position, colour or Beam window (opening these windows will put related position, colour or beam functions on your encoders). If you get stuck, send a copy of your show file to our support team ([email protected]) and they can take a look at th exact functions for you.
Hi, When i press the locate button it says "Heads located" after that i tried opening each of those windows, the problem im having is that the laser communicates with specific DMX sliders set at different values for each channel, the windows you mentioned only seem to be compatible with lighting fixtures and not lasers as the preprogrammed functions in each window don´t relate to the function of the laser, thus making it impossible to control. Ideally it should have 8 sliders to control it with, which i did see someone saying should be possible in the "simple console", but i was not able to find it. I can try and send a copy of my show file to the support team if you think it can be resolved. Thanks for your help!

I would start with a new show and enter this button sequence.

Ptch->Choose Head->Stairville->DJLase40GII->Patch It->1->Enter

After this you should see the laser in the patch window and it should show the DMX universe and the first channel it is patched to. Selecting the 'Simple' button in the upper right corner should bring up a row of faders and 8 faders should have a label as for their function with the laser.

I would start with a new show and enter this button sequence.

Ptch->Choose Head->Stairville->DJLase40GII->Patch It->1->Enter

After this you should see the laser in the patch window and it should show the DMX universe and the first channel it is patched to. Selecting the 'Simple' button in the upper right corner should bring up a row of faders and 8 faders should have a label as for their function with the laser.
Hi, thank you for the help. I didn't know what "simple console" meant so I had a hard time finding the button. I'll try this later. I was able to find the values for each of the controls, by selecting group and pressing "int" button. It is also configurable, but like I mentioned ideally I'd like it to be configurable using faders. Again thank you for helping, I'm definitely going to try this tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back