Crown Moulding Gaps

bobgaggle

Got a load in coming up where we have to install a big 8" Crown on top of 16' flats. We can test fit all we want in the shop but Murphy's Law says it won't fit the same on the stage. I know there will be gaps at the joints and want to know how to fix them quickly. We could caulk and paint, but this is a quick load in and dont have time to wait for caulk to dry. Its a beige-y color so gaps will be pretty obvious. Anyone have a quick (ideally one step) gap fill technique? I was thinking we add the paint color to some ready patch or spackle and just stuff it in the cracks and wipe smooth...

Masking tape and then paint unless you can find a magic marker that matches the color - then masking tape and magic marker. Very fast. Paper tape has been used as well. And there may be better tapes - I'm a little behind on tape tech talk.

They make colored caulk latex (best) or silicon, particularly for bath tile so you won't have paint. or wait for it to dry to paint. If you can find a match, use a standard caulk but only cut enough of the tip to get a 1/8" hole. Bring a wet rag. The trick is to only get enough to fill with out having to wipe. Excellent for along the top edge and corners of base board. For standard trim white I use Alex plus white.

Depending on how far away the scenery is, you may also get away with drywall mesh tape (which is somewhat stiff and also adhesive) and paint. It doesn't look so great from a few inches away, but will disappear from a distance, and it doesn't bubble up or peel off when painted as masking tape tends to do.

Available at any hardware store in the paint section.

HTH,
Jen

White gaff and paint is my go-to.

Followup, Murphy took the day off and the joints matched up perfectly. Well, perfectly for stage. About an 1/8" gap and the widest and not noticable even from plaster line. I love it when a plan comes together

Users who are viewing this thread

Back