Designing a lighting program

I, too, built my first computer back in the DOS days (1973), so perhaps I am familiar with the transition of Windows. I guess I don't regard occasional overnight updates as considerable maintenance. But let's not get into that. We don't have a console, just a $250 computer running 300 channels (led's suck up channels like crazy) and are pleased with the stability and performance.

The community theater I LD at runs off of windows on a dedicated PC that was set up in the light booth years ago and never updated. It has never crashed. Worst that has happened was that after having it running lights for about 15 hours or so, I had to unplug the dongle and plug it back in.

I've been running sound and projection off of Windows PC for the last 7 years or so. No major issues yet.

I, too, built my first computer back in the DOS days (1973), so perhaps I am familiar with the transition of Windows. I guess I don't regard occasional overnight updates as considerable maintenance. But let's not get into that. We don't have a console, just a $250 computer running 300 channels (led's suck up channels like crazy) and are pleased with the stability and performance.
A few hundred 8 bit parameters are hardly anything for modern computer hardware. The QLC+ project has a version optimized for RasberryPi. I'd prefer a *NIX over Windows, but as long as you keep good computer hygene Windows is not the stability problem it was in the 90's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back