Digital Audio Snake

newdaypro

We are faced with different FOH and monitor world console configurations on a weekly basis. It all depends on what a band is bringing with them: drive vs. fly date; our boards vs. theirs; combination of the two. Also, this snake would not be a permanent install. Could be carried to different venues in our area.

48 in/16 out minimum. What recommendations are out there for a digital audio snake that might meet our needs?

If you're doing acts that are carrying consoles then they're probably not going to be happy with using a standalone digital snake. Preamps are located on stage in most cases and control has to come from somewhere besides the guest console (unless they happen to have the matching control surface). Many acts carrying consoles also carry a snake as well, whether it be copper, fiber, or CAT5. Stick with copper for now and let the acts keep bring what they need.

We are faced with different FOH and monitor world console configurations on a weekly basis. It all depends on what a band is bringing with them: drive vs. fly date; our boards vs. theirs; combination of the two. Also, this snake would not be a permanent install. Could be carried to different venues in our area.

48 in/16 out minimum. What recommendations are out there for a digital audio snake that might meet our needs?

There are many more options than i am willing to mention but lets start with the basics, first a question.

1. Will your snake be only handling your audio needs or are you wanting to carry any other signal types? Ie. intercom, dmx, ethernet, video, Just to name a few. Obviously the more protocols you wish to carry will have an effect on price.

Assuming the answer to my question is just audio, i would look into either light viper, roland reac, or aviom. There are many many more good ones but for times sake i will only mention the ones that i have installed.

Light Viper and Roland snakes work well as long as you are willing to control your head amps via computer and not the console. I have had many issues with light viper and yamaha consoles communicating with each other. Roland works very well with their roland consoles but is proprietary to their consoles as are many other digital snakes. I have found that Roland's reac gives you a decent amount of different flavored inputs and outputs, (analog and digital) card based systems as well as the ability to have sub snakes and stage boxes depending on your needs. They have also done a good job of getting the MADI bridge out for their console so that direct digital interfacing has become a whole lot cleaner than running 24 AES/EBU cables into a snake box. Also you can have the ability to make as many splits as you want with their netowork topology and they have come out with both their personal mixing systems (which are pricey but are sonically unmatched) and a 48 track digital recorder that ties directly into the snakes infrastructure allowing you to pull any 48 channels that you wish back to the hard drive.

I am not a huge fan of the mixers that are sold with the system but as a general rule i really like the snake system and what it offers. I have installed them in many churches across the country, some with mixer and some without and have never had one fail on me as of yet. Welcome to Roland Systems Group U.S.

I have only used the light viper systems once with limited success but it was not necessarily the snake systems fault, it was more that they were looking into trying to control the preamps from a yamaha m7cl and i dont think it was quite what they were looking for.

Aviom is alot like roland in that they have a whole heck of a lot of products and accessories to go along with their systems but i have never been impressed with the audio quality of such systems. One bonus is that they will have interface cards for a majority of the rider friendly digital consoles out there.

I know that this is somewhat of a rant, if you do require or would like to look into snake systems that would handle multiple protocols (which is what we have moved on to) i would look into Riedel (Riedel Communications - Digital Intercom, Fiber, Audio and Radio Solutions Welcome to Riedel Communications) They have solutions of all types and are kinda the lexus/audi of digital snakes.

Hope this helps,

RZ

Currently, we have a 300' 40x8 and need to upgrade to additional inputs, etc. Didn't know if there was a digital alternative to that huge snake or just purchase an "along-side" addition to use when needed. Just the bulk of the copper.
Thanks

.....And if road shows are anything like what comes into my venue, if you have an analogue guy come in that person is going to want analog all the way. Many people still don't like the "digital sound" and they avoid it at all costs. Hell, we had one engineer complain about our XTA processing (they guy also had two racks of tube compression...). For the price of a digital snake, you could go MASS connectors everywhere with a split and sub snakes. If you go digital, your not going to be at all rider friendly. Your still going to be pulling copper.

Forget MASS, RAMLATCH rules.
proxy.php

Forget MASS, RAMLATCH rules.
proxy.php

Are you carrying audio signal, or charging your car? :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ramlatch definitely has some pros that Mass does not, except for the main one: compatibility. W4 connectors are very much industry standard. And because of that if you need to replace or add to a cable it's very easy to find a local company to rent from. Now, building/repairing them makes me rethink all that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back