Digital XLR?

AH! so there more shelded, and they need to be more shelded becaus digital signle r more suseptble to RF interfirance? right?

I think so i just wna know if iv understod it right, sometimes i read things wrong and end up miss understanding it.

That connector is specifically designed for use with digital microphones that use the AES42 standard. Part of the reason for the special connector is to prevent things getting plugged together that shouldn't be. A digital mic input could be supplying power and control data to the mic, so connecting it to any other digital source could create smoke.

For more common AES3 digital interfaces, (like from an A to D converter to a recorder) any old XLR will do. What is different is the cable, which needs to be designed specifically for digital audio. It has an impedance 110 ohms across a wide bandwidth. Normal audio cables will often work for digital audio for short distances, but it isn't recommended.

At this point in time, digital mics and devices to plug them into are very rare. Given that a "digital" mic still needs a preamp and a D to A converter inside the case, most users prefer those devices to be separate from the mic. My guess is this idea will fade into audio history pretty quickly.

I also want to get one. hope someone could provide more Info.
proxy.php

Check tjk's post up top, he has a couple of links you may be interested in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back