Elation ELAR PAR 108 RGBW

U.V.

Hello, long-time lurker, first-time poster here! :)

I am looking to rent some color-changing LEDs to side-light a dance show (as shins). The only thing I can get with my budget and time are some ELAR pars with a 40 degree diffusion. I am concerned that they will not provide enough 'punch' with a throw of about 20-24' (I have four bays with about 6-8' between them). (In the past, I just used 1 Kw fresnels and they worked very well). I will also have conventionals (575-S4 lekos) as high sides and tips, so I'm also concerned with these washing out some of the more saturated colors of the LEDs.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with this particular type of fixture, or can offer me any other advice. Basically, I am somewhat new to LED lighting, I have only used color-changers as cyc lights before. Thanks very much!

U.V.

If you're talking about the Elation diffusion that comes with the units, I'd be careful. I have sixty of these in my rental stock and love them, but that diffusion is worthless if you're shooting more than about 10-12 feet. I would see if you can dig up some other diffusion, or even try gel diffusion. I never got around to trying it in my units, so it may or may not work out for you.

Hi cbrandt, thanks for the reply! The gel diffusion sounds like a good idea; maybe even a cyc silk just to stretch the beam a bit. I will definitely need to go further than 12'; at least twice that. But I am not as concerned about illuminating the performer's faces; I just want to punch in some saturated colors. It might be kind of a cool look to have the colors coming in from both sides and then fade towards center, come to think of it.

If you're talking about the Elation diffusion that comes with the units, I'd be careful. I have sixty of these in my rental stock and love them, but that diffusion is worthless if you're shooting more than about 10-12 feet. I would see if you can dig up some other diffusion, or even try gel diffusion. I never got around to trying it in my units, so it may or may not work out for you.

I would advise not using gel diffusion for LED's because they cause a significant amount of output loss because they are not designed for LEDs. You should look into something like Rosco Opti-Flecs or similar products designed to diffuse LEDs

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/473948.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back