Electrics in Panama

Syphilis

Hello friends,

I'll soon be heading out to design/ME in Panama for the first time. Do any boothers with experience in this region have advice? My understanding is that voltage is the same as in the states (save that edison plugs lack a ground) and I know the venue sports an Ion, which I'll update to English v2.3.

I'm specifically looking for differences in electrics practices/code between there and the states, but any and all thoughts about culture, work traditions, design norms, or anything else would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Been there a couple of times doing arena style shows. Our power was generated on site, but hotels, malls, and other places power seemed to be 120V 60hz and pretty stable (As opposed to other countries where the power goes out whenever it rains). I would say the culture is like Miami south with cheaper food and drink prices. Basic Spanish (Up, down, right, left, here, there, yes, no, and most importantly thank you) will be a big asset at work, but many people that are trying to sell you things will speak English. Also almost all menus will have pictures you can point at. There is a governmental push for health and safety, buy in many places rules are ignored. Also don't be surprised if rules that are followed are done blindly without any understanding of whats being guarded against (think guy in a harness clipped into a hand railing). I worked with many genuinely great people and had a really good time, just keep you eyes open and pay attention to whats going on around you.

Do not expect anywhere near the same level of safety standards we have in the US. In my experience harnesses are rarely used at height, equipment is rarely grounded, etc. I'm sure there are exceptions to this in larger venues or with larger companies, but this is what I've found doing an extensive number of events in Central America. You will be shocked if you haven't done events in the region before. But you will have to lower your safety standards a bit if you want to continue doing events there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back